Meylan - Stopwatch ? "Click" to Login or Register 

posted
Attempting to expand my horizons

Across the front of the case 52.5mm

11j

2 Adjust

Swiss - Meylan

Curious:

1. As to the entity utilizing the stamp on the back outside of the case?

2. Watch runs under pressure, but will need to be serviced. So, does the watch have enough value to merit a service being only 11j?

TIA

Smile

Posts: 7178 | Location: Illinois in the USA | Registered: November 11, 2011

posted
Plus, broken head on a case screw

posted

posted
Hi Jon

That's a very nice vintage timer.
Stopwatch is the term used for pure timers and chronograph watches.
For pure timers 11j is pretty good; compared to normal watches and chronographs timers run only short time and wear of pivot holes is not the big problem.
Yout timer is build like a chronograph, just without the setting mechanism and the minute/hour hands, thats what I call 'reduced or incomplete chronograph'. The mechanism is identical to the chronograph setup used back in time including those three micro teeth wheels.
It's a 1/5 th seconds 30 min register timer with porcelain dial and not found very often. I would date it to the 40's.
Unfortunately timers are not valued very high; the costs of COA and value might be equal. If you like to have a genuine working vintage timer and are able to do the case cleanup by yourself i would suggest to get it fixed.
For the numbers on the caseback: Custom made to individualize the watch. I remember back in school we had to short time loan timers and they were numbered too.

Regards
Gerald

Posts: 742 | Location: Wertheim in Germany | Registered: February 21, 2009

posted
As always - Gerald... You are a wealth of knowledge my friend!!!

The movement does look "complex"; however, as you stated not as many moving parts as a true chronograph. Smile