Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Wm Merson Verge Fusee "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Mary Ann Scott
posted
I had to have one verge fusee in my collection! It is marked Wm Merson, Huntly, 13873. In doing research on it, I came up with conflicting info and was hoping if our resident geneologists - Tom and Sheila - could help me sort it out! The case is London marked, 1871. But from what I can determine, Huntly is in Aberdeenshire, Scotland.
Any help you can provide is greatly appreciated!

Mary Ann

Posts: 1047 | Location: The Colony, Texas in the USA | Registered: December 20, 2008
posted
The case markings...

Posts: 1047 | Location: The Colony, Texas in the USA | Registered: December 20, 2008
posted
The movement...

posted
Here's a better view of the movement...

posted
Side view of movement...

posted
Beautiful watch Mary Ann, many thanks for showing it.

There's no need for any concern or confusion regarding the case being London assayed, and where the watchmaker was operating, because a watchmaker would have had the case made by his (or her) casemaker of choice, who may have been as in this case (no pun intended) in another 'country' even if it was the UK!.
You will also find casemaker's marks on a London assayed case when the maker had his mark registered in a town hundreds of miles from the City of assay.

If you can post a photo of the casemaker's mark, I may be able to tell you who it was and where registered.

People were also very mobile in the C19th despite the lack of transport that we take for granted today.
Depending upon what a census return or trade directory throws up here, watchmakers often moved around and sometimes to the town of origin of their spouses, which could be the other end of the country or to a different one altogether.

Best always to keep an open mind about hallmarks and casemaker's marks and think latterally about where they could have moved from and why.
This is what makes family history research so fascinating and addictive.

Best regards

John

Posts: 1282 | Location: Northern England, United Kingdom | Registered: January 07, 2006
posted
I find a James Merson, Huntly 1837-60, but no William. A son perhaps?

Posts: 767 | Location: Los Osos, California USA | Registered: December 12, 2002
posted
Thank you for the info, John. I forgot to include a photo of the case maker mark. It is WC in two circles. I found this reference -

WC into two circles
William Carter (possibly),
listed in 1852 as a watch case maker at 7 President Street East, Goswell Road, Clerkenwell, EC. This address was subsequently changed to 35 President Street, EC where Carter is still listed in 1885. A William Carter, possibly the same individual, is listed in 1841 as a watch case maker at 22 Galway Street, Bath Street, St. Luke's.

Jerry - Thanks to you as well. I will try to find some info on James Merson and see if William may be related.