Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

up-down indicator english fusee pocket watch "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 1954
posted
I recently bought a beautifull English fusee movement with an up-down wind indicator made by Bennett of London.someone more than likely sold the case for the gold...the movement is very clean and the dial on it is mint along with the hands.it is a fully jeweled and the split balance wheel.from my research it would have been made between 1850 and 1895.i serviced it and fit it in a case I had and it fits the case perfect with a little work I done on the hinge assembly.everything fits just like it was made for it.the only thing is that it is an earlier case hallmarked for 1833.the watch keeps time to within a minute a day and could be fine tuned for that.it is the first fusee I have actually seen with the up-down indicator.very rare and a beautifull example of a English fusee...

Posts: 203 | Location: British Columbia in Canada | Registered: May 11, 2014
IHC Member 1954
posted

IHC Member 1736
posted
wow

Posts: 2032 | Location: San Diego, California in the USA | Registered: August 30, 2012
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
A question. Was the wind indicator mechanism driven from the mainspring barrel?

I ask because in the US-Made W.I. they need a spider gear arrangement as the windup and the rundown functions are actually quite separate from each other so the Wind Indicator is "powered" from both functions through the spider gears.

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
IHC Member 1954
posted
it is driven through some spider gears also.very nice design.

posted
The case looks to have been made by John William Hammon whose dates would be circa 1825-60. His niece married William Hart Bennett also recorded as a casemaker(?)

Lots more information at http://www.925-1000.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=31007

Posts: 27 | Location: Kent in the United Kingdom | Registered: May 15, 2015