• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

unknown pocketwatch mfr. help! "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
I was given this family heirloom recently and it belonged to my great great grandfather edward woltersdorf who spent some time as a young man in russia. can anybody identify it or give me information about it?
I have many more images that I can e-mail.

mrdiddle61@aol.com

Posts: 1 | Location: Des Plaines, Illinois in the USA | Registered: October 17, 2007
Life Achievement
Military Expert
Picture of Greg Crockett
posted
Welcome to the forum!

The first thing I can see is that your watch is a pin-set Swiss watch. That is, one must push in the pin on the side of the case and hold it in while setting the hands with the winding stemb.

There were several Swiss firms doing business in Russia before the 1917 revolution. These firms included: Pavel Bure, H. Mosser, Edouard Quartier, Marc Leuthold, etc. All of these firms used inscriptions in Russian Cyrilic writing to appeal to their Russian customers. Unfortunatley, I am not able to read Russian. A mild complication is that modern Russians use a slightly modified system of spelling.

Some images of the movement and any trade marks would help i.d. the maker. Also, if possible, a translation of the Russian words would be helpfull. If nothing else, a phonetic translation could provide the key.

Best regards,

Greg

Posts: 1983 | Location: East Lansing, Michigan USA | Registered: November 24, 2002
posted
Hello Kurt, Welcome to Chapter 185 and the Forum ............. and Congratulations!

I don't know if you had realised, but you are the first Enthusiast to make you first posting on the Newest and First European Pocket Watch forum in Chapter IHC 185!

Thank you for registering with us and showing us your family heirloom.

I can't add anything to what Greg has already mentioned, but if you could post some more photo's for us to view, I'm sure it will draw some more comments from our very knowledgeable membership.

Best regards

John

Posts: 1282 | Location: Northern England, United Kingdom | Registered: January 07, 2006