Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Help with Script please. "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Stephan Gaal
posted
Here are a couple of pictures of a 16 size pin set demi hunter I have in my collection. It has a very tidy silver case with a Swiss movement of reasonable quality. I am trying to figure out the initials on the back.

Posts: 431 | Location: South Victoria, Australia | Registered: January 18, 2007
Picture of Stephan Gaal
posted
The face has the name R. Schmidts Coblentz marked on it.

Picture of Stephan Gaal
posted
The inner dust cover is also inscribed R. Schmidts Coblentz inside a circle of engine turning.

Picture of Stephan Gaal
posted
Could the initials on the back be R.S.C. This would suggest that the person this watch was made for really wanted people to know it was made for him. This is just a guess on my part but the initials on the back look to be a similar script to the marking on the dust cover.

Picture of Stephan Gaal
posted
I have added a picture of the movement just in case someone can tell me anything about it. Perhaps you have one like it and know where it was made. My guess is about 1910
TIA
Steve

posted
It is very difficult to date these Swiss bar movements, but I would put it closer to 1870-1900.

The intitials are even harder to figure out. Usually the first initial is on the left, middle initial on the right and the last name initial in the middle and larger than the others. These are so overlapped, I cannot even see the letters.

These would be the initials of the owner. We say the case has been "personalized". The name on the dial and case is probably the retailer (or perhaps the watch finisher).

Don

Posts: 173 | Location: Columbia, Pennsylvania U.S.A. | Registered: July 13, 2004
posted
Stephan,

Are there any hallmarks on the case anywhere?
These would give clues about where it was made and when.

I would go for around early 1900's too, and the movement is a cut above average for a bar type.

Bi-metallic Split compensation balance with timing screws, Appears to be a fully jewelled train (centre pinion?? - can't be seen), lever movement not cylinder escapement (possibly jewelled pallets), screws securing the winding wheel, helical cut winding gear, nicely made and polished ratchet and spring, plus the hairspring stud.

Small points, but All those things cost more to produce and finish in those days!

Can't make out the letters at all, sorry.

John

Posts: 1282 | Location: Northern England, United Kingdom | Registered: January 07, 2006
Picture of Stephan Gaal
posted
Thanks for the clues so far. I can add that the watch does not have jewels on the centre wheel. I can see a jewelled pallet but jewels are set into a slot where the escape wheel touches rather than full jewels like I see normally. I have managed to get a reasonable shot of the case marks. The bird figure I think is the mark for silver and appears on the main body as well all the covers. All the case lids have the serial number 33800 stamped normally. Under that is the number 30 but in both cases the 0 is laid on its side. All the fittings on the case are yellow ,hinges, pin set and lift flap for opening. Could be brass or gold plated. Thanks again.