• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

1958 Movado Sterling Silver Coin Pocket Watch "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
I'm looking for information and a possible appraisal regarding this Movado pocket watch, which was a gift to my grandfather in 1958 following one of his friend's trip to Europe. The item numbers from the inside of the watch are D478839. It has the same picture and slogan on both sides of the sterling silver case "St. Christopher Protect Us". The case is in near mint condition and the watch still keeps time and is excellent condition. I've called Movado, and they weren't much help. Can anyone help or point me in the right direction?
Hunter
hunterb32@yahoo.com

Movado Watch

Posts: 2 | Location: Atlanta, Georgia USA | Registered: February 24, 2009
posted
second pic

Movado Watch 2

Posts: 2 | Location: Atlanta, Georgia USA | Registered: February 24, 2009
Picture of Mary Ann Scott
posted
Hello Hunter,
Welcome to IHC185. We are glad to have you with us! You will find a wealth of information here and very friendly, knowledgeable people who will try to help you with your watch.

I will have to defer to the experts here about your very nice Movado pocket watch. I can say that seeing pictures of the movement and case markings will help to find information and possibly date it. Please post some more photos when you can. It will also help to know the movement and case dimensions.

I personally have not seen a case like this one. My first impression is that it is much older than the movement.

Again, welcome to the club!

Posts: 1047 | Location: The Colony, Texas in the USA | Registered: December 20, 2008
IHC Life Member

Picture of Jerry King
posted
I will be the second member to welcome you, Hunter, you have made a wise decision by joining our club what I like to call the "185 Special"....

You have shown us a nice and unusal watch and as Mary Ann suggested, it would be nice if you could show us the movement, we kinda like to get to the heart of the matter, if you know what I mean...?

We have experts in every Horology field and I'm sure one is going to pop up at any time. But additional photos will be beneficial to us all....

Again, welcome on board the 185 Special, we're going places....

Regards,
Jerry

Posts: 2828 | Location: California in the USA | Registered: June 23, 2008
posted
Hi Hunter

The watch you show us here was a very nice souvenir from a trip to Europe back in the 60's.

Where it came from is hard to estimate, I don't know where the friend of your grandfather has been.
Maybee he was in Rome.

I can see no pendant so i think it is a kind of medallion in shape of a coin with a simple wristwatch movement build in.

It is a medallion of St. Christopher, patron of the travellers. The meaning is to be a mascot for a good return from a long journey. Maybee the friend of your granddad knew about the meaning or was just attracted by something written in english at an unexpected place; we will never find out.

Hard to give an appriasal. Take a silver coin with the same size plus a wristwatch of the 60's and you will be there.

Regards Gerald

Posts: 742 | Location: Wertheim in Germany | Registered: February 21, 2009
posted
Welcome to IHC 185 Hunter, and thanks for posting photo's of your Movado.

Is there any chance you can post some photo's of the watch itself (out of the case) and also the movement.
Someone then may be able to offer a bit more information about it.

Best regards

John

Posts: 1282 | Location: Northern England, United Kingdom | Registered: January 07, 2006