Page 1 2 
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Perret & Co/Early Swiss 12S "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Anyone with interest: Have in my small foreign hobby collection. Beautiful, and in my opinion in NM to M condition Perret & Co.18 K Gold HC #69913/KW 13J/Detached Lever/Handel Movement Swiss made and stamped LOCLE. Bought the watch in late 1960's at estate sale in Hendersonville, NC. Have never been able to get much info but have been told LeLocle Valley. This seems to fall in the categary of the mystery Perret's that made fine watches in the 1850-to 1880's. Will be making some photo's ASP. Can some of the great European experts provide additional info. Thanks, Sam.

Posts: 96 | Location: Waynesville, North Carolina in the USA | Registered: April 14, 2011
posted
To All Interested: Here are the watch images as stated above. Could not open dust cover without tool and will post later. Thanks for viewing. Sam

Perret & Co.

Posts: 96 | Location: Waynesville, North Carolina in the USA | Registered: April 14, 2011
posted
Back. Sam

Perret & Co.

posted
Dial. Sam

Perret & Co.

posted
Dust Cover. Sam

Perret & Co.

posted
Inside Front Cover. Sam

Perret & Co.

posted
Opened watch. Sam

Perret & Co.

posted
Inside Back Outside Case. Sam

Perret & Co.

posted
Hello Gerald Zimmerman: Hoping you see this and comment pro or con. I know very little and information listed may be incorrect since purchase was made in early 70's. Other's invited to comment. Thanks.

posted
Hi Sam

The first comment is a con: Smile
Both sets of pictures miss the most significant - a view of the movement.

Regards
Gerald

Posts: 742 | Location: Wertheim in Germany | Registered: February 21, 2009
posted
Thanks Gerald: Will make pictures of movements as soon a possible and I do remember Perret & Co. did not have markings on the movement. Likely a later marriage. Can you tell me information about the Perret & Co. and assuming the Serial # is correct/what era? Thanks. Sam

posted
Sam

It is not about some markings on the movement, the style and the technical features of the movement is the needed information to set the proper time frame for a search for Perret (it is a whole dynasty of Perrets). I do not think of a marriage, it is inlikely to find another movement with matching dimensions and the winding and setting arbor in the right position.

Gerald

posted
Thanks Gerald for putting up with me. My wife does the photos and not available right now. Will post later. Your response makes a lot of sense and hopefully I can learn again from your vast knowledge. Will get back to you. Sam

posted
Hello Gerald: Photo #1 of 3. Sam.

posted
Gerald, Photo 2 of 3. Having trouble with photo 3 as it was cropped and now won't send. Will try again on that one. Sam

Perret & Co. new photos

posted
Gerald, photo 3 of 3

posted
Gerald: Finally we have finished the pictures. Please research and thank you again for bearing with me. We will also try to open the Smith/Verge/Fuse and make photos of the movement. But will not do this today. Will let use rest awhile. Best regards. Sam

posted
Sam
Thank you for the additional pictures:

The movement is a typical swiss bar style movement that was common and in use from 1845 to 1885. Key wound, key set; uncut balance; counterpoised right angled lever, 13 jewels. I would date this movement to the 1860's. It's a good mid range quality movement that was made by many and has no special features that point to some prominent maker.
The watch was made for the english/american customer.
Perret&Co or Perret & Cie is very likely a trader/exporter of this watch (watches of this time could have no inscriptions at all, or the name of the finishing/assembling company, the name of the exporter or importer of the watch.
Trademarking and hallmarking in switzerland was just at the beginning, no patent office and many trades involved to make a watch (therefore a lot of watches from the 1800's are anonymous).
There were a lot of Perret's involved in watchmaking or related trades and I could not find ot who was Perret & Co Locle.
The case is beautyful, I like the delicate hands and the dial has no visible damages. I would think that the watch is genuine and original.

Regards
Gerald

posted
Thank you Gerald: Not being a watch repair person causes a couple of questions: What does uncut balance mean? Also what does counterpoised right angled lever mean and how does this tie into the detached lever as written on the dust cover? Thanks in advance. Sam

posted
The balance rim has no cut throughs near the two arms like it would be on a temperature compensatet balance.
detached lever is just the english description for a swiss club tooth escapement (named on the cuvette to differentiate the watch from the simplier cylinder escapement).
right angled lever: the escapement wheel. lever and balance are not in a stright line; the lever is located sideways.
counterpoised or balanced lever: the lever is extended on the side opposing the balance( sometimes in the shape of a crook or crozier.

Regards
Gerald

posted
Hello Debbie: This post is also in the European Forum. Where it should be. Could you help to remove this without bothering the post in the European section. Thanks and have a wonderful holiday season to your family. Sam.

Administrative Assistant
Picture of Dr. Debbie Irvine
posted

Sam,

It has been moved into the European Forum.

Debbie

Smile

Posts: 5222 | Location: Northern Ohio in the U.S.A. | Registered: December 04, 2002