• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Need Help with Hallmarks on Fusee "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Anyone good with hallmarks I am having trouble with this odd pair case. The dust cover has glass window to the balance cock which is weird and it is signed Graham London.

Posts: 115 | Location: Jamestown, New York in the USA | Registered: August 12, 2008
posted
dust cover

Posts: 115 | Location: Jamestown, New York in the USA | Registered: August 12, 2008
posted
movement

IHC Member 1335
Picture of Tom Brunton
posted
Lovely watch Samuel,I can't find my hallmark book but George Graham was a partner of
Thomas Tompion and was one of the greatest English makers. Smile There were other Grahams who made watches in London but the window over the balance wheel in the hinged cuvette or dust cover is an elegant feature usually,but not always characteristic of an above average maker. Wink I'm also interested in hearing the date of the hallmarks and I'll continue looking for my book,Merry christmas,Tom Big Grin

P.S. he was so famous there are many contemporary forgeries so it's one of the possibilities that is the case here Frown

Posts: 1746 | Location: Aylmer, Ontario in Canada | Registered: December 15, 2009
Administrative Assistant
Picture of Dr. Debbie Irvine
posted

Here is a link to all the London Hallmarks from 1678 through 1974 but remember to scroll sideways, it is a very large image...

Click for: LONDON HALL-MARKS FROM 1678 THROUGH 1974

There are other links on that page in case it is not a London Assay Mark.

Have fun Roll Eyes looking at all that gives me a headache.

Debbie

Smile

Posts: 5222 | Location: Northern Ohio in the U.S.A. | Registered: December 04, 2002
posted
Hi Samuel,

There's a case-maker by the name of Robert Atkinson of 39 North St., City Rd registered in London in 1796. Hallmark looks like 1809 and this would tally with Atkinson's date but I stand to be corrected.

If it's a "real" George Graham (and it certainly looks high class) you've got a very expensive watch there!

Dick

Posts: 57 | Location: Brisbane, Australia | Registered: January 27, 2008
posted
Thanks everyone! This might take some extra research before I can sell it.

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
I am not sure if it would have been the George Graham that worked for Thomas Tompion. According to Loomes 21st Cen Ed. that George Graham was born in 1675 & Thomas Tompion was his uncle & they worked together 1711-1713. George died about 1751. If that is all correct I think he was long gone by the time this watch was made.

As Tom said there are probably about 10 Grahams listed for London. If you like I can list the information on them.

Very nice looking watch & I like the window in the cover.

Tom

Posts: 5107 | Location: New Mexico in the USA | Registered: January 27, 2007