• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

WITTNAUER POCKET WATCHES "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
HOW MANY MEMBERS EVER SAW A WITTNAUER POCKET WATCH?

Posts: 391 | Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA | Registered: April 20, 2006
posted
I had a chance to buy one at an antique shop about 15 years ago. If I remember correctly it was 16S and in a very nice GF OF case. It was missing the detent stem and crown so I passed on it. Only one I've ever seen.

Tom

IHC Member 376
Watchmaker
Picture of Samie L. Smith
posted
Daniel here is one from my parts cabinet it is marked wittenauer on the dial but not on the movement..is it a true wittenauer i am not sure.

Posts: 3208 | Location: Monticello, Kentucky U.S.A. | Registered: June 24, 2004
IHC Member 376
Watchmaker
Picture of Samie L. Smith
posted
mov.

Posts: 3208 | Location: Monticello, Kentucky U.S.A. | Registered: June 24, 2004
posted
Samie:

I do not see Wittnauer shield on your movement...but if you look at my 8-day Wittnauer Post...

You will see your model and my post have similar hairspring studs.

So it could be a clue as to your movement being Wittnauer.

I also seem to think I remember them as making repeaters for other watch companies.

They could have made your model for the Majestic Watch Co.

Posts: 391 | Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA | Registered: April 20, 2006
posted
Mr.Weiss, I found this private label movement in my junk stuff and though it may not be a Wittnauer the layout is very similar and the construction is first class. I think it counts to a 20 jewel movement The serial number is 81553.There are patent dates of May 15-August 21,either 88 or 86, sloppy stamping.There is a 3 letter code near the barrel, again sloppy and obscurred but looks like TED. It is marked adjusted and Non-magnetic,Wright,Kay&Co., Detroit The dial is destroyed but it is a snap-on type, no feet.

Posts: 198 | Location: Vermilion, Ohio in the USA | Registered: May 14, 2003
posted
Hello C. K.

A number of high-grade Swiss watch makers used the regulator set-up as seen on your watch,
I have seen many examples of this regulator set-up on a number of different watches.

One of our members, Dave Coatsworth, did send me an email with the name of that particular regulator...but I forgot the name.

Your watch at one time was a beauty and surely had a Gold Case that was scrapped for its monetary value.

Let me give you a tip or hint or whatever...you should try to picture the watch so it can be read without
performing an acrobatic maneuver. I could save the picture and rotate it so it's easy to read.

No, I doubt very much that the timepiece was manufactured by Wittnauer. Thanks for your post.

Picture of Sheila Gilbert
posted
Samie,
According to Ehrhardt's Trade Mark book, Whittnauer made a watch with Majestic, and Majestic Watch Co. names. Page 23

C. Keith,
I found this about a watch Co of the same name.
(notice the WRIGHT, KAY & CO.)

WRIGHT, Henry M., jewelry; born, Hudson, O., Aug. 15, 1843; son of Philo and Electa E. (Coe) Wright; graduate Western Reserve College, AB, 1864, A.M., 1866; married at San Francisco, Calif., Sept. 23, 1872, Flora M. Height. Was a member Co. B, 85th Ohio Volunteers, at time of Civil War; came to Detroit, 1864; was connected with U.S. Lake Survey, 1865-72; became a member of the jewelry firm of Rohm & Wright, Mar., 1872; the firm being changed Mar. 1, 1886, to WRIGHT, KAY & CO., incorporated, May, 1906, of which became president. Member Detroit Board of Commerce. Republican. Presbyterian. Member Detroit Chapter Delta Kappa Epsilon. Clubs: Country, Detroit Boat; Lake Placid, Adirondack .(New York). Office; 140-144 Woodward Av. Residence: 999 Woodward Av.

If you check the web you will find a lot on this Company, and it all looks pretty High End. There is also a Wright Kay building and it's now a historical spot in Detroit. Had the FIRST elevator too!

Sheila

Posts: 3094 | Location: La Plata, Maryland U.S.A. | Registered: May 22, 2004
posted
Mr. Weiss and Sheila, Thanks for your comments, I shall remember to orient the watch for future picture taking. Does anyone have a reference to the Swiss makers code"TED" as found on this watch? I didn't find it in the listings in Shugart's Guide..........Keith

Picture of Andy Krietzer
posted
What book has any information on Wittnauer pocket watches? Am I missing it? I don't find it in my 2004 Cooksey Shugart guide. Were they always a division of Longinnes? Where do you find the year by the serial number?

Andy

Posts: 1190 | Location: Indiana in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 25, 2002
posted
Andy, If you were referring to my post I didn't say Shugart had anything about Wittnauer. What I referred to was the three letter code list in Shugart's Guide. It is on page 635 in the 2005 edition. Wittnauer's code is(AXA). The movement I pictured has a code(TED) that is not in the list. I am wondering if other lists may give the Swiss maker with the code (TED}..............Keith.

posted
The regulator shown on these movements is Wilmot's patent regulator. A search of the archives for "wilmot" will turn up a couple of threads on this subject.

Posts: 331 | Location: Camarillo, California USA | Registered: May 03, 2005
Picture of Andy Krietzer
posted
Keith,
I wasn't asking about the code you had mentioned. I was looking through the book a few days ago trying to figure out another Wittnauer watch.

Andy

Posts: 1190 | Location: Indiana in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 25, 2002
posted
Keith,
Do you have a close-up of the "TED" area of this watch? I tried to enlarge it, but my software isn't that great.

How about posting it if you do have one.

Sheila

posted
Keith:

I have a funny suspicion your timepiece could made by Agassiz or LeCoultre.

posted
Daniel,
Funny, I was looking too, and I thought that the one on page 558 looked a LOT like his too!
Top Left of Cooksey's 2006 book, and it's Vacheron & Constantin!
Turn the page up side down or sideways and they are pretty close.
Not quite right though.
Any connection between these makers?

Can you also tell me the name on your movement? I can't quite make it out.

Sheila

posted
Sheila et al, Here are pictures of the 3 letter code and the private label marking. There are no makers marks except "Switzerland" and (TED)...............Keith

posted
2. Mr. Weiss, If you are interested in this movement and dial ring, let me know your mailing address and I will send it to you. ckeithjohnson@earthlink.net

posted
C.K.

I would have no interest in the movement except for basic research and self-knowledge. I would not care to buy it.

If you want to get it out of your hair, send me an email, my email address is listed on my profile.

Thanks, Dan

posted
Hi, I am registered on 185 but not a member and I can't view your profile. My offer was to send it to you without charge as it is not something in my area of interest and I would like someone who has interest to have it. Please send me an Email with your address and I will ship it to you..........Keith

posted
The importers mark is always on the balance bridge.If any marks are elsewhere on the watch I guess it is some other code.
J Smith

Posts: 188 | Location: Warrenton, North Carolina U.S.A. | Registered: January 12, 2003