• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Cylinder Ball Style Keywind Pendant Watch "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
A very unusual keywind watch with cylinder escapement. It looks like it's designed to hang from something, I don't know what.

The watch measures about 34mm in diameter and is 21mm thick. It has very thick glass crystals on front and back with a few scratches. The dial has several hairlines.

It ticks for a bit when wound. It probably needs a mainspring, and it looks like the mainspring barrel might be touching the center wheel, binding it up.

An unusual one,not sure who made it. I think its french.

My question is has anyone seen a watch like this or knows anything about a watch like this one. Besides the man that sold it to me on ebay.He knew very little.

Posts: 66 | Location: Silsbee, Texas in the USA | Registered: December 01, 2009
posted
picture

posted
pictures

posted
More Pictures

posted
Face

posted
Dail

IHC Life Member
posted
Hi Perry
You are right about that it should be hanging from something. The size suggests a womans neck to be proper. It´s a piece of jewelery that can tell time. It could very well be french, but most likely swiss. A very similar type is made in China or India today.
Regards Krister

Posts: 375 | Location: Backaryd, Sweden | Registered: April 19, 2009
posted
Perry, just looked in and seen your topic, nice catch!
Not many of these antiques around now!

It's a Victorian era Swiss 'Glass Ball watch' designed to hang from a ladies Chatelaine, which would have been fastened to a lady's garments - usually from the waist - from a belt etc.
Another option would have been to hang it from an 'Albertina' which is a very decorative version of a gents 'Albert' chain.
I've around half a dozen examples of Albertina's here that I'll post up at some point.

Unfortunately I've never owned or afforded a Chatelaine, they tend to be a bit 'rich' for me these days, and highly sought after!

These watches are quite chunky things too, and would be quite tiresome to wear around the neck after a while!

The barrel catching the centre wheel is a common 'defect' of these Swiss cylinder movements!
The actual bridge where the barrel arbor runs, is about 14 thou' thick, and carries all the torque reaction of the mainspring, plus man (or lady) handling of winding the watch!
The bridge also often breaks where the click is notched into the bridge, as it's extremely thin at this point.

This damage can be repaired, but difficult and very time consuming, and on most watches not worth the effort - but these are, as they can fetch quite high prices at auction!

I have one of these which is virtually identical to your, plus a couple of smaller more modern Swiss lever examples by Charles Bucherer, who revived them in the 60's.

Best regards

John

Posts: 1282 | Location: Northern England, United Kingdom | Registered: January 07, 2006
posted
Thank you Krister and John, for your in put you have been very helpful. This watch fascinates me. I hope to get this repaired because I have damaged more then I have fixed.

posted
Perry, this is a 60's Bucherer Glass Ball watch I have.
This one is has gilded silver rims and band, quite small and fairly light, hangs from a silver neck chain.
My wife couldn't get along with it though, so it's now gone to auction (no, not eBay) Wink

John

Bucherer

Posts: 1282 | Location: Northern England, United Kingdom | Registered: January 07, 2006
posted
Side shot.

John

Bucherer Side

posted
Visible Movement.

John

Bucherer Movement