• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

can anyone help "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Hi ,i recently purchased an old pocket watch,and i need some help with identifying the watchmaker,
The watch is a full hunter,gold, and in lovely condition,j, hargreaves is signed on the dial,and also on the movement, i also have the serial no,.
Has anyone any info on this maker ,and also how can i date this watch,as i dont have any info on the maker,any help is appreciated
thanks Edd

Posts: 4 | Location: Newcastle Upon Tyne, United Kingdom | Registered: June 08, 2009
IHC Life Member

Picture of Jerry King
posted
Hello Eddie,

Welcome to IHC185, you have come to the correct place to get info on your pocketwatch....

There are a few things that we will need in order to help identify the watch and among them are photos....If at all possible please post as many photos as you can showing the movement, case exterior and interior, the dial and we will need the serial number....

By your description it's hard to tell, but it is probably a private labeled watch but we will need to see the photos in order to do a proper identification for you....

In the mean time give some thought to becoming a full member of the club, it only costs $12.00 a year and the amount of information you will have access to is incredible....

You can go here and take care of the membership now or at anytime you feel you are ready....

Become a Member

Post the photos as soon as you can so that we may start the process....

Thanks for stoping by and come back soon....

BTW, if you would like the current copy of the Complete Price Guide to Watches, you can go here....

Complete Price Guide to Watches

Regards,
Jerry

Posts: 2828 | Location: California in the USA | Registered: June 23, 2008
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Hi Eddie

I will check for the maker when I get home from work today. If it is a European maker it would also help to date the watch with a photo of the hallmarks inside the case.

Tom

Posts: 5107 | Location: New Mexico in the USA | Registered: January 27, 2007
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Eddie
On the movement with the makers name does it mention at city, there were several watchmakers with the 1st initial J. Hargreaves.

There were ones in Liverpool, Blyth, Derby, Swan Lane Bawtry, Sleaford, and Hull.

As Jerry mentioned photos would help date it & the hallmarks too. Plus we all really like seeing watches.

Tom

posted
hi tom ,here is a picture of the movement of my watch,will send another pic of the face, the watch is gold plated ,and on the inside of the front cover all it says iscase guaranteed to wear 10 years ,and the serial no 5812074.ill take more pics and send them to you
kind regards Edd

movement

Posts: 4 | Location: Newcastle Upon Tyne, United Kingdom | Registered: June 08, 2009
posted
a further pic of the face of the watch, ill send more as i take them, and also what determines how much a pocket watch is worth,is it age, material ,watchmaker,rarety, ive just obtained a few watches from a friend and he gave me 7 pocket watches he found on a house clearance, on of them is gold,and its a waltham,in pretty poor condition,but it only has a 5 figure no on the movement ,so im assuming its pretty old ,anyway ill take pics and post them
kind regards Edd

watch face

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Hi Eddie

The company that comes is the nearest to what your watch says is J. Hargraves (& Co.) (& Son). Liverpool (Lancs) 1876-1907 Makers to the Queen & H.R. the Prince of Wales.

I don't know a lot about Swiss made watches, I am sure John or some others will offer their knowledge.

What it appears is that J. Hargraves was the jeweler selling the watch, the watch & dial was made for them & then their name was placed on the watch but they did not actually make the watch. In the USA we refer to these as private label watches.

I find the dial interesting that it has the drawing of a pallet fork on it, in case you are not familiar with watch parts, the narrow end of the pallet fork is what touches the balance wheel & with each swing of the balance wheel the pallet fork rocks back & forth, the wide end of the fork locks & unlocks the escape wheel & causes the gear train to move each time it unlocks it. The two little rectangular shaped pieces at the wide end of the pallet fork in the drawing represent two of the 7 jewels in the watch, one of the other jewels is attached under the balance & it is what touches the narrow end of the pallet fork causing the fork to rock. A 7 jewel movement such as yours is the lowest number of jewels found in a standard watch.

It would appear to me that the gold second hand is a replacement, usually all three hands would be the same color.

At least that is my opinion for what little I know of Swiss watches.

We look forward to seeing the other watches too. In answer to the question about value, yes to each one of your statements, and also what can add to the value is the sentimental value if the watch was passed down to you etc.

Tom

posted
Thanks for that info tom,very interesting,i am just starting out in the watch collecting bit,and i quite fancy refurbishing and repairing them as a hobby,im getting a couple of books and dvds on the subject and i think ill enjoy tinkering about with a broken down watch,to see if i can get one up and running.
Thanks once again,
Edd

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Eddie

Looks like the bug had bitten you too, get ready to only thinking about watches.

When you get the time you might consider joining the club here, it will save you a lot of money & heartache starting out & you can't beat the price.

Everyone here is more than happy to help a newcomer out & by being a member you have access to the auction & items for sale which at times include tools.

Please ask any questions you might have as you go along & do not hesitate to ask, when each of us started out we had a lot of question.

Good Luck & I look forward to hearing more from you.

Tom