Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Gallet & Co. watch "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Hello,
I am expanding into the odd swiss watch for my collection and was wondering where this Gallet & Co. watch fits. Is this a newer or older movement
and where does it fit from a quality standpoint ?
I don't have it yet, and will post better pics when I get it.
Any info would be appreciated,
Thanks,
Bill

Posts: 1278 | Location: British Columbia in Canada | Registered: May 19, 2008
IHC Life Member
Picture of William D. White
posted
Hi Bill,

Looks like around 1930-1940. The movement exhibits quality and finish that are just above average and mechanically, it was likely a capable and reliable performer.

William

Posts: 1568 | Location: San Francisco, California USA | Registered: September 01, 2008
posted
Hi William,
Thanks for the info, I have mainly stayed with American, but thought I would get a few swiss when I thought the price was right.
Thanks,
Bill

Posts: 1278 | Location: British Columbia in Canada | Registered: May 19, 2008
Railway Historian
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of Larry Buchan
posted
Hello Bill:

Gallet made high-grade railway pocket watches for Eaton's you can see examples on my Canadian Private-Label thread.

Larry

Posts: 3370 | Location: Okotoks Alberta Canada | Registered: November 22, 2002
posted
Bill, I'll happily go along with William's thoughts on the watch.
Judging by the fairly raw finish on the winding wheels though, I'd say the watch was built as an accurate workhorse rather than someone's pride and joy.

The micrometer index and 3x adjustments sets it apart from the 'run of the mill' Swiss stuff, and if interested in collecting these types, then look out for nice little tweaks such as these.

The centre wheel pivot is a good indicator of age of these types too!

If they have a solid pinion right through with the cannon pinion snapped onto it, then these are late types, would say around the 30's-40's onwards.

The earlier types to this have hollow centre pinions with a pin through it, onto which the cannon pinion is held by taper friction.
The earlier type to this again has the same pin, but with a square formed on the end for the key (plus a dust shroud screwed to the bridge).

Thanks for posting the pic's for us.

Best regards

John

Posts: 1282 | Location: Northern England, United Kingdom | Registered: January 07, 2006