• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Rebuilding a Bovet? "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
How do you go about rebuilding something like this? It is marked Bovet Fleurier A235. Any idea how old it is? Thanks

Posts: 160 | Location: Hartville, Ohio in the USA | Registered: August 18, 2005
posted
Nice catch Mark,
Looks like a Duplex escapement watch made for the Chinese market.
Never had the fortune to own or hold one, but seen a few around on various sites on the web.
Probably dates around the mid 1800's but I'm sure there are experts around that can tell you more.

How would you go about rebuilding it .........
Slowly and methodically with plenty of digital photo's. Wink

It really depends on your level of skills and the equipment at your disposal I suppose, and how brave you are with risking screwing something up.
Apart from the escapement, it's probably much the same as any other mid C19th movement.
It's not a fusee, which simplifies things some.

Maybe Chris will chime in and make a comment on this!

Best regards

John.

Posts: 1282 | Location: Northern England, United Kingdom | Registered: January 07, 2006
IHC Life Member
Certified Watchmaker
Picture of Chris Abell
posted
Hi Mark,

The first thing you need to do is to spend your time examining its condition, as parts would not be available other than another movement and even then may well not be transferable or alternatively will have to repair/make as needed.
Dial could be repaired/improved, hands found, start by asking yourself is the balance staff good, hairspring, does there seem to be power through train, how much wear, and if it looks promising, disassemble it clean and test as you go if nothing else a pleasent afternoon spent.

Posts: 2625 | Location: Northeast Texas in the USA | Registered: November 20, 2003
posted
Thanks gentlemen. I have not taken it apart yet but there does not seem to be any wobble in the balance wheel (which amazes me considering its condition). I did look at it under the microscope and the upper balance cap jewel is shattered. So who does ceremic dial restoration? The case is a tripple-hinge. The front bezel needs reshapped. Who does that kinda work?

IHC Life Member
Certified Watchmaker
Picture of Chris Abell
posted
Mark, The dial can be done and case work also, I would concentrate on getting the movement working first, if you run in major problems you would not have wasted time & money on the dial etc, also these watches do not get that much when sold so you may even consider looking for a running example and a better start point from the outset.

Posts: 2625 | Location: Northeast Texas in the USA | Registered: November 20, 2003
posted
Thanks, I'll do the movement work first. Do you know anyone who can provide me a picture of what it is supposed to look like under the dial?

IHC Life Member
Certified Watchmaker
Picture of Chris Abell
posted
Post a photo dial side and maybe able to see if anything missing.

posted
Thanks.

IHC Life Member
Certified Watchmaker
Picture of Chris Abell
posted
Do you have any other parts from that section not shown?

posted
No, that's it.

posted
An interesting one Mark!

Looks like the hour and minute wheels are missing, and the minute wheel is driven from the train rather than a cannon pinion on the centre post.

Could be tough finding parts to replicate those, you'll probably have to work out the ratios and diameters then have them cut to suit!

Looks like the small plate at the bottom may have had a piece let in to repair a worn pivot hole!
This could be flagging up a warning about the condition of the pivots.
Hope you're good at reprofiling worn pivots and fitting small bushes Wink

Think 'miniature' clock repair! Cool

John

Posts: 1282 | Location: Northern England, United Kingdom | Registered: January 07, 2006
posted
For some reason I seem to have ended up with a number of Europten key winds. This is a peak under the dial of a lever chronograph. Looks real close to what you described. This could be my template. Thanks.

posted
Bang on Mark, almost a dead ringer for the Duplex.

You guys really do turn up some wierd and wonderful stuff, never seen motionwork like that before on anything this side of the pond, but then I've lead a very sheltered life ......... Wink

John