posted
movement cover

Posts: 785 | Location: Tijeras, New Mexico USA | Registered: July 12, 2005
IHC Life Member
Wristwatch Host
Picture of Tony Dukes
posted
Give me a Zenith///// Smile

Posts: 1953 | Location: Atlanta, Georgia in the U.S.A. | Registered: August 01, 2003
posted
Hello. Are you saying it is a Zenith? Confused

Posts: 785 | Location: Tijeras, New Mexico USA | Registered: July 12, 2005
posted
You've got a very early Longines made between 1867 and 1870. Longines was the successor to Agassiz, a continuation of the original company.

Posts: 5 | Location: Plymouth Meeting, Pennsylvania USA | Registered: January 07, 2008
posted
George Agassiz was allowed to sign LONGINES pocket watches with his name, cause the high quality watches were produced in his office, before the big plant at "Les Longines" was bought from Ernest Francillon (Auguste and his son Georges Agassiz had invested to this time approx.100.000,- Swiss Francs into the company).
After 2nd January of 1874 Ernest Francillon gave the order to sign all Longines watches with the typical symbol of the sandclock with wings.

My estimation is that these doubled signed watches "Geo Agassiz" and "Longines" came out of the time, when the plant/building at "Les Longines" was ready to produce but no really symbol for their watches was found (or they wasn´t sure how to sign their watches). So the time period with doubled signatures might be between 1862-1874.
My best regards
Tony

Posts: 17 | Location: Konstanz, Germany | Registered: November 29, 2005
Picture of Michelle Kaser
posted
I also have a Longines w.w. with the name Agassiz written on the lower botton, left side of the dial. you can barely see it. it is very small.

Michelle

mkaser

Posts: 4 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: May 16, 2008