• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Help with A. Buchanan fusee... "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Any info on this watch & maker (A. Buchanan) would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! Jim

www.treasurehuntunlimited.com

Posts: 273 | Location: New York in the USA | Registered: May 28, 2008
posted

posted

posted

posted

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
James

Can you tell me what the movement has engraved just above the serial number, there are several makers by the same name but in different locations & I can not make out the engraving.

Tom

Posts: 5107 | Location: New Mexico in the USA | Registered: January 27, 2007
posted
James, the maker in Loomes Vol 1 states:
Andrew Buchanan - Denny - 1860.

Only one listed by that name and place in my book, but Tom may turn up others.

I'll come back later on the hallmark and casemaker, burning the midnight oil here now and getting my ears tweaked! Wink

Best regards

John

Posts: 1282 | Location: Northern England, United Kingdom | Registered: January 07, 2006
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
John & James, that is the same info I have, John after you put Denny I relaized that was what the movement had, just don't know my world names!

Tom

posted
John & Tom, thanks for burning the midnight oil. This helps very much. Where can one find this Loomes book & how many volumes are there? Look forward to the hallmarks. Thanks again! Jim

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
James

The book is Watchmakers & Clockmakers of the World Complete 21st Century Edition by Brian Loomes ISBN 10:0-7198-0330-6. I think I bought mine from Amazon but I see it on ebay all the time as a buy it now.

I also use Watchmakers & Clockmakers of the World by the late G.H. Baillie's, supposedly hte Loomes book incorperated the Baillie book but since I had it 1st if I don't find anything in Loomes sometimes I do find it in Baillie's.

Tom

posted
James, the hallmark on the case is for London 1869, which would tie in with the watchmaker's details in Loomes, he'd very likely be trading then still.

The casemaker's initials, look like 'AF' (incursive), which in my reference is either
Ann Fielder who first used the mark in this style from 12 Nov 1849 at 29 Gloucester St, St John St Rd,
Then Alfred Fridlander from 13 Oct 1868, at Holyhead Rd, Coventry.

On the face of it, the case may have been made in Coventry and assayed in London, unless Fridlander had a shop in London too but kept the registration on his Coventry address.

If anyone else has any theories on this, feel free to chip in.

Best regards

John.

Posts: 1282 | Location: Northern England, United Kingdom | Registered: January 07, 2006
posted
Thanks Tom, I'll look for the book. Sounds like a must have.

I appreciate all the info John. That helps a lot...Jim