• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Dunlap Baker Pocket Watch, Manchester, NH "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
I have a keywound keyset 18K gold open face pocket watch with Dunlap Baker, Manchester, NH, on the face and in the works. I purchased the 2007 Watch Price Guide to determine its value but it is not in the book. Is this a rare watch or a private label watch? Why is it not in the book?

Here is the movement:

Posts: 6 | Location: Greensboro, North Carolina USA | Registered: May 30, 2007
posted
Here is the dial:

posted
Here is the case back:

posted
Here is the inner back:

posted
John,

Your watch is really breath taking. It doesn't look American made to my eye maybe English or Swiss. It is a private label watch. I am sure the experts will give you more info. Very nice older watch John.

John

IHC Life Member
Picture of Robert V. Jones
posted
I agree with John that it is definately a Swiss made private label but so many of the swiss watches are similar that it is hard to tell.

Posts: 3468 | Location: Cleveland, Georgia in the U.S.A. | Registered: February 03, 2006
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

That was my read on it as well.

When looking closely at the unusual "click" and let-down arrangement I wonder if perhaps it might be a clue that could lead to revealing the maker.

Unusual design that might help in figuring this out...

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
There appears to be some writing just to the left of the "D" in Dunlap and underneath the letter "J". Perhaps that info would be helpful if it can be read.
The click looks like those found on many clocks. Perhaps the maker produced both clocks and watches.

Joe

Posts: 450 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri U.S.A. | Registered: October 10, 2004
posted
There is a shield to the left of the D in Dunlap that looks like a family shield that has a D over a B most likely for Dunlap Baker and above that is says TRADE MARK and about that is a Capital J.

posted
Swiss all the way. Keywind with back keyset. Swiss balance cock and jewel setting. I bet it has a two foot dial.

Dunlap and Baker is probably a jewelry store. Google could not find any trace of them.

It seems rather well finished. Is the temperature compensated balance real? Are the cuts all the way through?

Don

Posts: 173 | Location: Columbia, Pennsylvania U.S.A. | Registered: July 13, 2004
posted
Since I am new at this science, I don't know how temperature compensation is done in a watch. Tell me and I will look to see if it has it?