Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

rolex "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 1418
Railroad Time Inspector
posted
After sitting in the junk box for some 30 years I took on the project of this Rolex. Besides being covered with rust, missing hands and anything else that could fall off I thought it would be a challenge. I would send pictures but at present it is apart and slowly coming together. I also need to learn how to take a photo so that you might be able to actually see it. I need help in identifying this darling. Stamped in two places Rolex, one on the first bridge the second on the bottom plate, serial number 777945 bottom plate has numbers 666 or 999 depends how you look. size approx 35 mm stamped and does have 15 jewels, adjusted 6 positions all temps., stem set. Dial metal with gold raised hour indicators,it is a silver color with a star burst pattern radiating for the center. I cleaned the dial and to my horror the name Rolex washed off. All other numbers Roman Style are in place it seems to be only a enamel paint.I realize without a picture it is very difficult, but I will try mt best to add one later. Either I have a Rolex or a great frankenwatch? Any help on this will be greatly appreciated.

Posts: 105 | Location: British Columbia in Canada | Registered: May 05, 2010
posted
Hello Walter and welcome to IHC 185. I really know little about the Rolex's but am sure that someone here will have great info and help for you.
Enjoy the club.
Bill

Posts: 1278 | Location: British Columbia in Canada | Registered: May 19, 2008
IHC Member 1418
Railroad Time Inspector
posted
As promised here is the picture. The balance reflex's the condition. the rest I have started to clean up. As I have no idea of the model perhaps some one could help.

Picture of Wayne Hanley
posted
Welcome Aboard Walter! Your Rolex is looking good. Smile

Posts: 370 | Location: Northern California in the USA | Registered: November 10, 2007
IHC Member 1418
Railroad Time Inspector
posted
Thanks Wayne, Any idea where there might be some information on this little gem? Ran into a little stumble with the balance staff and spring. Rust has eaten away both. I am not up to making either.
Walter

IHC Member 1418
Railroad Time Inspector
posted
Futher to the Rolex, perhaps this might spark some forgotten source of information. I did find a picture in the rolex form but alas no refrence numbers. Date somewhere around 1926? The watch was called Oyster pocket watch. This was the exact movement with the exception of, his was 3 position adj. mine shows 6 position on the plate. The other information was Perregaux/Perret limited rolex this I have not confirmed. I would appreciate any suggestions or a point in direction.
Walter

posted
Welcome to IHC 185 Walter,
As far as I'm aware, Rolex never at any time made any of their own calibres for pocket watches.
I'm always prepared to be corrected on this, but so far no one has posted anything to the contrary.

I believe they bought in ebauches from other manufacturers and refinished them to their own spec', so a Perregaux / Perret association with Rolex wouldn't surprise me.
Corebert also supplied ebauches to Rolex (marked as Cal 540) in the 40's era for military stuff.
The 1926 era for your movement would be a good bet too, and looks about right for that period.

Wristwatches were a different ballgame, but even so, early calibres were bought in from other makers and refinished, Rebberg being very common.
Rolex aficionados will give you more pointers on them though, as I know zip about them really.

An upside to your watch is that you won't necessarily need to go 'Rolex' for parts, as the calibres used back then would have been more 'Generic' than the 'in house' specimens used in their watches today.

Can't see the hairspring properly, but appears to be a flat spiral with a round stud rather than an overcoil with a fancy stud, and if so, easier to find something to replicate it - but the cost of vibrating one to give good standards of timekeeping and sorting the balance etc will be high.

The staff would be a breeze for Chris Abel or someone equally proficient to make, but again, the downside will be cost, and whether the watch would be worth the outlay.

There are dial re-finishers around that could repaint the name on the dial for you, again no idea of cost.

It'll make a nice specimen when done though, keep us updated about how you're getting along with it, and thanks for posting it for us.

Best regards

John

Posts: 1282 | Location: Northern England, United Kingdom | Registered: January 07, 2006
posted
I need help with this watch. The case is silver and stamped 925. All the halmarks are lower case m which I was told to be English & 1907. The case is an open face 3 part swing case sn#107223. Also stamped on the inside of the case w/ the hallmarks is R.w.c. Ltd
( maybe stands for ROLEX WATCH COMPANY LIMITED ) The dial has Swiss Made at the bottom and INGERSOLL faintly printed at the top. The mov't is a 15 jewel swiss made. the case measures 49 mm across.
There does not seem much written about the earlier years of rolex. Seems that things did not start rolling for them untill the oyster perpetual wrist watch came. I read that at first rolex would purchase components and have them assembled for them. Could this be one of them ? Thanks Bill

bbb

I need help with this watch

Posts: 43 | Location: Baconton, Georgia in the USA | Registered: March 31, 2011
IHC Member 1418
Railroad Time Inspector
posted
Bill please post photo. With the search for my Rolex id. I did a lot of investigating so I might hase some information on your watch. One never knows!
Walter

posted
Walter - Thanks for the offer to help ID this Watch. I am having a hard time Posting the Pictures of the hallmarks. I can not able to get them clear. I wiil keep trying . Here are the rest of the pictures. I hope you see something interesting in them Thanks Bill

posted
walt- Here are some of the pictures you requested. Hope you see something intresting in them - Bill

posted
Picture #2

posted
Picture # 3

posted
Picture # 4

posted
Picture # 5

posted
And the last one I still cannot get the hallmarks clear

IHC Member 1418
Railroad Time Inspector
posted
Bill, Sorry but I cannot read the stampings on the plate or wheels. There also should be a stamp below the balance on the bottom plate. Ingersoll was a us manufacture of dollar watches for the most part and would not be a correct dial. The case looks like silver. Could you also measure the movement with out the case, also the thickness. And is the hairspring a flat or a over coil? Rolex did produce lots of pocket watches during the twentys with many different configerations and it seems with many different suppliers of components.

posted
Mr Walter -Again thanks for the fast reply- I have pictures that show the hallmarks clearly but this forum will not take them It says they are too large( In reality its probably my ignorance with computers.).If I had an e-Mail Address I could Attach these Better pictures, or if you think this Watch is worthy of the effort I would ship it to you for you to inspect and Id. I am not a watch person so taking the movent out to measure intimidates me. I see no stamping on the bottom plate and the other thing you asked me about( the type of hairspring), I haven't a clue what you are talking about. I am posting 2 more pictures I hope the will be of Better Quality. Like I mentioned before I have 24 Pocket Watches that I know nothing about. This is the 3rd one that L have inquired about. The First one prooved out to be a Hamilton 4992B that turned out to be a "Frankenstein" watch. This one may well turn out the same, and a TERRASSE President model that I have not got a rely yet. So out of 24 Watches that I stumbled on maybe one will a true Keeper. Thanks --Bill

posted
picture # 2

IHC Member 1418
Railroad Time Inspector
posted
Bill thanks for the pictures. I would say that this is not Rolex. A few simple thoughts as to why. The case has english hall marks which may or may not be conclusive. The lack of stamping of any kind would tell me that it was not one of the higher grade swiss movements. If you refer to my picture there are stampings all over, I have two Rolex Unicorns which have stamps all over as well. This is not to say it is not a good find but sorry I would say not Rolex.