• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

moser "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
i was wondering.. is there anyone out there that knows anything about a t. moser pocket watch? i bought one and i can find lots of info on hy. moser but not t. moser. i thought he didnt have any kids to pass the business to.

Posts: 112 | Location: Missouri in the USA | Registered: May 16, 2008
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Welcome Aboard Darren!

Only reference I found is an internet photo gallery... http://www.treklens.com/gallery/Europe/Poland/photo12827.htm for camera buffs that oddly featured a "T. Moser & Co." watch. I dropped in the image below in hopes it might spark a memory or two, let's see if it does!

Lindell Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
thats a great idea. it does seem odd that theres litte about these. the watch i have is sterling silver, hunter, and lever set. the neat thing about it hase a display back to the mvmt, under the cuvette. the other is that it is similar to an int. watch co.

posted
Alas pics..

posted
Darren,

Welcome to the forum,

Hy Moser may well have had kids and maybe 'T Moser' was one of them, but you'll have to get stuck into some serious genealogical research to find them - starting with census returns plus birth, marriage and death certificates - if you can get them, and work from there.

I've done that with a couple of UK makers of my watches, and it can get very interesting indeed.
One of those watchmaking families now has a substantial website built around it.
Check out 'Skarrat' and 'Kay's of Worcester' via Google.

Other family members such as Nephews or illegitimate offspring of a sibling (same surname) could also have been apprenticed to him and have carried on the tradition following his retirement or death. The possibilities are considerable really.

Then again, there may be no connection at all!

The movement in your watch would have started life as what was a fairly generic ebauche of the period, but Moser has added his own little tweaks such as the screwed in centre jewel - not too common on this type Swiss lever.

Not sure about the IWC comparison though, as they - or at least those I've had through my hands, have had three screws securing the ratchet wheel which seems to be almost a trade mark of IWC(and of their later 'Stauffer' associates).

Looks to be a nice case too, especially as the engine turning on the back dome doesn't appear to be worn much around the edge, often they're worn shiny in that area.
It's escaped having the central shield engraved too which is good.

It's certainly been cared for, enjoy!

Best regards

John

Posts: 1282 | Location: Northern England, United Kingdom | Registered: January 07, 2006
posted
It is a nice watch. i particularly like the display back. In a place where there were 7j elgins in gf cases priced at 150-200 he let this and a quarter rep. for less than a 100! Henry didnt have any children and that is why his wife ended up selling the co. with the clause to continue the quality associated with the moser name. Moser also sold the power plant and building to iwc in schaffhausen. I read that the moser name also used by other co somewhat like the swiss fakes. Im wondering if the co that bought the name made watches with the variations of moser names that you see on ebay (A. moser,P.moser,T,moser, et al.)

posted
Darren,

That's an interesting link between Moser and IWC that you mention.
Not sure if they'd just use a name in that way though ........ sort of 'badge engineering'.

One possibility that went completely over my head, is that Moser and those associated by name were maybe retailers / jewellers or casemakers and not all watchmakers.
Entirely possible that peripheral members of the same family group were involved somehow.

Just a thought or two.

Best regards

John

Posts: 1282 | Location: Northern England, United Kingdom | Registered: January 07, 2006
posted
Now the iwc info came from a link i found when searching the name moser, so this is from my memory of that info. There is a co. that has started making watches under the h moser name in the last 4-5 years.
Hey, thanks on the possibility of other family members producing watches. I just was used to the direct line of lineage with a brand. This idea makes sense, because i believe that the mosers were clockmakers.