Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

"Electric Proof" Watch? "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Stephan Gaal
posted
I know this is a low end watch but I have been unable to find any mention of the term "Electric Proof" anywhere so I thought I would share it here. The watch is marked Tavannes Watch Co which I find on page 549 of the guide. Not sure if this is the same company. Is also marked US Pat 24 May 1904 but not sure exactly what is patented. I suspect they were trying to take advantage of some peoples fears about that new fangled electricity that was being introduced around that time. The watch was found at a country junk sale. A new main spring and off it went.

Posts: 431 | Location: South Victoria, Australia | Registered: January 18, 2007
Picture of Stephan Gaal
posted
The movement or Guts. Just as an aside if an Australian wants you to tell him about something but just give the most important facts of the matter he will ask you to "Give me the guts of it"

Posts: 431 | Location: South Victoria, Australia | Registered: January 18, 2007
posted
That '04 pat. date on the movement refers to an anti-magnetic patent. The "Electro-Proof" marking is pretty cool I think. It may have aimed at folks who worried that all the electricity they were exposed to was creating magnetic fields that might screw up their watches. Pretty cool!
-Cort

Posts: 536 | Location: El Cerrito, California U.S.A. | Registered: October 04, 2004
posted
The fear of electricity is still very much alive; I recall a news item(s) a few years back about some cows that were appparently affected by the high-tension lines overhead of their pasture and I think about the same time there was some concern voiced about the effect of
the flux or whatever from overhead lines might have on humans.

Posts: 676 | Location: Oak Ridge, Tennessee USA | Registered: December 08, 2002
IHC Member 660

posted
Agreed, the name seems to refer to being anti-magnetic. The balance spring is white, seemingly a non-magnetic spring. Difficult to tell about the other part materials.

mike

Posts: 48 | Location: Massachusetts in the USA | Registered: December 24, 2005
posted
Stephan, I have a 16S TACY watch. TACY is also a Tavannes product, but is actually Tavannes/Cyma. On mine the dial is hallmarked Admiral, Non-magnetic. The movement is marked non-magnetic and has the same patent date as yours on the movement.

Tom