Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

English Hallmark Dates?... "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 234
Picture of Jim Cope
posted
...would be exceedingly grateful to anyone who has knowledge of sterling hallmarks to inform me as to the date of mfr of this sterling cased fusee watch w/ornate gold enumerated dial made by a 'J Wolfe of Sunderland'...thanks!...Jim

Posts: 872 | Location: Kingsville, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 16, 2003
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Jim,

I find these things very confusing, but this should help get you started...

CLICK TO SEE WEBPAGES: "Using Hallmarks to date English Watches"

Quoting: "For silver content, the symbol is a Lion, one paw raised, facing left. This denotes a standard of 92.5% pure silver." So that confirms something you were for the most part already aware of.

As to your location, apparently Sunderland is in the northeast of England. However, I'm not aware of a Hallmark among the markings you shared that could identify the assay office where your case was registered. Knowing that proper city is the next step in this. The highly instructional web-page I pointed you to explains what you need to be looking for in order to determine that all-important answer.

Once you've done that part, the date is a bit difficult, but not impossible. You will need to sort it out using the proper assay city and narrow the years based upon using the graph you see on their web-page. Perhaps others with more experience in this area of study will be able to help take you further but hopefully the information provided will be of at least some assistance to you.

Lindell

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
Jim,

The letter date appears to me to be for 1872.. What lead me here is the case maker initials look like an RO for a Richard Oliver, active at this time.. a movement photo and front bezel photo from the case would most likly confirm this date..

Posts: 638 | Location: Green Bay, Wisconsin USA | Registered: November 22, 2002
posted
Jim,
The well rubbed or badly struck lion's face to the left signifies the piece was assayed in London, this mark being applied to Sterling silver or gold. The 'r' in this particular shape of shield signifies 1872. The square strike is the makers mark ('RS' or 'RG'?).

The lion with paw raised is, as Lindell says, the fineness mark and indicates .925 sterling silver.

Peter

Posts: 110 | Location: Chalfont St Giles, Bucks, UK | Registered: June 03, 2006
IHC Member 234
Picture of Jim Cope
posted
...thanks all for your efforts...the 'initials' appear under a 10x loupe to be "RC"...here is a pic of the dial...

IHC Member 234
Picture of Jim Cope
posted
...and a pic of the movement...bottom right hand corner is the name J Wolfe...