• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

300yrs for $300? "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
A lady my wife works with knew about my hobby and asked if I would look at a pocketwatch her husband had inherited. I told the lady I'd be glad to. She wanted an opinion on it befor the appraiser look at it.
I don't know about other parts of the country but in mine when someone shows you their pocket watch it's generally not much to see. I've seen a few " grandads ole' railroad watch" that was a seven jewel or dollar watch with a choo choo on its case/dial. Unless pressed I hardly ever correct them (don't have the heart to). Howeve... Ere now and then, it's a pleasent suprise. This was one of those times.
She had brought it to work one day and fumbled around her purse to retrieve the watch. As she was handing it to me I could tell it was a verge fusee. She had sent a text/pics previously, but I could only make a guess with them.

Posts: 112 | Location: Missouri in the USA | Registered: May 16, 2008
IHC Member 1892
posted
Darren. Any possibility you could post a picture of this watch?

Posts: 361 | Location: Kincardine, Ontario in Canada | Registered: November 25, 2013
posted
Sorry got pulled away. My daughter wanted me to go morel hunting. With the watch in hand I could see that it was a pair case with a large hinge and a button on the opposite side. I've seen pics of these type cases and it put it at the latest around 1850.
I removed the movement and saw that the inner case was tall inside. As I opened the inner case I found a bright movement with "tulip" style pillars. To me this dated it closer to mid 1700s. The watch's champleve dial also pointed to that also.
The back of the movement had Pet. Garon London inscribed among the decorative carvings. There was no balace cock. This watch was a mock pendulum, which had the balance below the dial plate. I looked up the watchmaker and found that he was an apprentice under Richard Baker in 1687 finished in 1694. The last date I saw for his work was 1723. I was blessed to get to handle such an old and beautiful watch.
I let her know the good news. A few days later the appraisers "report" came in. She told me it was valued at (wait for it)..$300. This seemed odd because every time I try to buy a watch from 1770-1790 they run about 300+. I figured this should run about 1500+ ( in regards to it being a complete runnung watch). Is the guy on track or way off?

posted
Hi Darren

The lady should handle this 'appraiser' with great care, he might left a 'zero' at the end of his number.
Pictures would be very assistant.

Regards
Gerald

Posts: 742 | Location: Wertheim in Germany | Registered: February 21, 2009
posted
This is the photo she sent to me. I didn't have time to take photos the day I handled it. I'll ask her to bring it another day to get better pics.

IHC Life Member
Picture of William D. White
posted
The reason for the mock pendulum was to suggest visually that this likely poor timekeeper might have timekeeping akin to a pendulum clock.

William

Posts: 1568 | Location: San Francisco, California USA | Registered: September 01, 2008
posted
At first I didn't see what the ring in the pic had to do with the watch. When I opened the inner case I saw it. It is like a dust ring that slides down around the movement. The ring also has decorative engraving and the makers name. I haven't seen one on an early verge before.

posted
Thanks William. I wondered why they made mock pendulums. I thought it was just for novelty.