WWT Shows CLICK TO: Join and Support Internet Horology Club 185™ IHC185™ Forums

• Check Out Our... •
• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Swiss Dual Split Chronograph . 1888 Patent . E. Hueber ? "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Mike Rouse
posted
I picked this up today . Pity its gold filled . But cool .Lever Set .A Early Dual Split Chronograph . Only markings on the movement is PAT FEB 14 88 .And has Pat. Dec 7 8?. Maybe 88 or 82 on Case Edge . Looks like a better quality Swiss Movement . Seems to run great. Any help with functions would be helpful . Not sure what does what . Really nice save for the scratches on crystal . Thanks

Posts: 496 | Location: Northern California in the USA | Registered: March 08, 2009
Picture of Mike Rouse
posted

Posts: 496 | Location: Northern California in the USA | Registered: March 08, 2009
Picture of Mike Rouse
posted

Picture of Mike Rouse
posted
4 . The quality of the movement looks much better than my pics .

Picture of Mike Rouse
posted

IHC Life Member
Picture of Ethan Lipsig
posted
The two sweep second hands almost certainly mean that your watch is a split second chronograph. I am traveling, but I recall that my split second chronographs work like this, starting with both second hands pointing to 12. Depress the crown and they both starting timing seconds together. Depress the push button at 11 and one hand stops while the other continues. Depress that button again and the stopped hand catches up with the moving hand. Depress it again and one hand stops again, while the other continues moving, etc. Depress the crown and both hands stop. Depress the crown and both hands and the register reset to zero.

As for the maker, among American makers (ignoring artisans like Albert Potter), I believe that only Waltham made repeaters or split second chronographs. Your movement almost certainly is Swiss, but it doesn't resemble any with which I am familiar.

Posts: 1414 | Location: Pasadena, California USA | Registered: November 11, 2005
Picture of Mike Rouse
posted
Thanks mucho . I finally figured out it must be a split chrono .........

Picture of Peter Kaszubski
posted
Nice one Mike I wish I could find one like yours.

Posts: 4395 | Location: Arizona in the USA | Registered: July 23, 2011
posted
Hmm, this looks like it has many characteristics of your movement
Patented Feb 14, 1888

Posts: 1499 | Location: Rancho Cucamonga, California USA | Registered: December 20, 2006
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
This split second chronograph appears to have a disengaged minute wheel lock spring. When that is re-engaged to the accumulated minute wheel it should again hold advances in accumulated minutes. Chris Abell specializes in these beauties.

Many of these were assembled from subassemblies made by many different specialty shops. So only a real "expert" could tell who claimed to be the "maker".

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
Picture of Mike Rouse
posted
As usual , thanks .

IHC Life Member
Certified Watchmaker
Picture of Chris Abell
posted
Dave
The spring looks correct, it will hook onto a stud below the hammer, and supplies the power to swing the hammers over to reset sweep and minute hands. I need a good photo editor so that I can add arrows and comments . At the point of the box you can just make out the pin that advances the minute wheel

Posts: 2625 | Location: Northeast Texas in the USA | Registered: November 20, 2003
Administrative Assistant
Picture of Dr. Debbie Irvine
posted

Thanks everyone who contributed their knowledge!

Smile

Posts: 5201 | Location: Northern Ohio in the U.S.A. | Registered: December 04, 2002