Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

A watch from Mrs Brown ? "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Stephan Gaal
posted
I thought this would make an interesting talking point because you don't often see a watch with a womans name as the maker. watch Perhaps they have it wrong or more likely I am wrong again but I thought it was worth a mention anyway.

Posts: 431 | Location: South Victoria, Australia | Registered: January 18, 2007
Administrative Assistant
Picture of Dr. Debbie Irvine
posted

My impression is not of "Elizabeth" being engraved on the plate, but on the other hand, like Stephan I am at a loss to speculate as to what it might be. There is apparently no "a" after what looks like a "z" so it may turn out to be something else altogether. And of course there is no "Mrs" on the movement so that may be speculation. I sent an eMail to the seller asking for careful spelling or better yet a better image of the name.

Does anyone know of a "E. D. Brown" being a watchmaker?

And could it have been made for rather than by the named individual?

Movement signature in the auction...

Posts: 5220 | Location: Northern Ohio in the U.S.A. | Registered: December 04, 2002
posted
Britten's lists a lot of English watchmakers called Brown from this time period,
none of which was called Elizabeth Brown.

There was an Edward Brown, listed as an accomplished horologist
who was the head of the House of Breguet. Maybe the watch
in question was made by/for his wife ? Just a thought.

NOTE: Is there a street name engraved on the movement,
if so this would certainly narrow the search

Dave Freeman
IHC Member 321

Posts: 976 | Location: Texas in the U.S.A. | Registered: January 27, 2004
Administrative Assistant
Picture of Dr. Debbie Irvine
posted

Here is additional information from the seller...

"Phillip T. Priestley makes mention of a Watch case maker Mrs Elizabeth Brown in 1825 but just a case maker."

The seller also provided a higher-resolution close-up which appears below. From that it is clearly Elizabeth abbreviated as "Elizbth" in the same way January is abbreviated as "Jan'y"which may help us understand it better. The name "Elizbth D. Brown" is far easier to read now.

Also, the seller also asked if we could post information about the silvered dial that is shown in their auction images.

Better image of movement signature...

Posts: 5220 | Location: Northern Ohio in the U.S.A. | Registered: December 04, 2002
Picture of Stephan Gaal
posted
I see the watch did not attract any bids. Perhaps it will come back again at a lower reserve. Getting back to my origional point is it unusual to see a watch with a ladies name as the maker? If Mrs Brown is not listed in the book would this indicate the someone else made the watch and put his wife as maker for some reason.

IHC Life Member
Picture of Cooksey Shugart
posted
99% of English watch-making or cottage industry movements ( movements in the rough ) were made at Prescot in Lancashire, these rough movements were then sold to watchmakers in London and all over England. This system was used untill about 1870, and changed to factory-made ( ebauche ) movements.
Cooksey

Posts: 62 | Location: Cleveland, Tennessee USA | Registered: November 27, 2002
Picture of Stephan Gaal
posted
Thanks Cooksey. I did know about the movements in the grey but did not know it was so wide spread through the industry. Perhaps it is just me but I find the fact that a womans name appears on an English watch in the 1860's interesting. This was a time when women in England were not allowed to vote. Convicts still got to vote but they did not. This was a time when the apprentice had to pay the master to learn a trade. I wonder how many qualified watchmakers of the day would have accepted a girl to train? How many fathers would pay out for their daughter to learn watchmaking in a society that would not have accepted such a radical idea. I know Mrs Brown did not make the watch but her name is still there. Did she finish it? If not why did someone else put her name there? Was it some kind of protest against the narrow attitudes of the time? I just thought it was interesting. Perhaps I am the only one.

IHC Life Member
Picture of Cooksey Shugart
posted
quote:
Did she finish it?

Stephan, Hard to say if she finished it or not. Some of these "watch-makers" were more like a jewelry type shop, selling clocks and watches with thier name on the watch or clock. My best guess is no. She was not a famous watch-maker like Thomas Tompion who also purchased parts then completed the movement to his specifications.
Cooksey

Posts: 62 | Location: Cleveland, Tennessee USA | Registered: November 27, 2002
posted
Thanks for posting this thread and the photo's Stephan, certainly a good talking point.

A ladies name engraved on a watch (or dial come to that) isn't seen too often, but there certainly were female watchmakers around.

Additionally, there's probably no bigger mystery here than the probability her husband died (who was the original watchmaker) and the business simply continued in her name, which did happen frequently.
One such occurrence I know of is of Elizabeth Skarrat of the Skarrat watchmaking family, which business was subsequently bought by Kay's of Worcester.

Even if the lady wasn't the watchmaker, she would be able to employ a master watchmaker or journeyman to continue the work, And continue to engrave her name of the finished product.
Also, for every master watchmaker employed, could employ at least one apprentice if wished.

Given the date of the watch, it was actually illegal to engrave a name onto a dial or movement in that period if one wasn't 'Free of the Clockmakers Company' more commonly referred to as a 'Freeman'.

This rule was certainly applied rigidly within the envirions of the city of London boundary.
As far as I'm aware, this applied in the provinces also, as it seems it was common for a maker Not a 'Freeman' to do a moonlight flit from his garrett workshop to avoid being arrested for illegally signing his wares.

I believe the Clockmaker's company eventually lost its grip though when foreign imports gradually trashed the British watchmaking industry, following which, all and sundry were signing their stuff with complete impunity from prosecution.

This is my brief recollection of the situation, but if anyone can correct me or add anything, I'd certainly welcome the input.

Best regards

John

Posts: 1282 | Location: Northern England, United Kingdom | Registered: January 07, 2006