• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Peoria "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
I just picked up an 18 size anti-magnetic for railroad service model. It is a 15J gilded movement. Other than what the book says, do we know anything else about this company?

Posts: 767 | Location: Los Osos, California USA | Registered: December 12, 2002
Picture of Stephan Gaal
posted
I believe they also made watches for the Non Magnetic Watch Co which sourced it's watches from several places. I "think" this is a Peoria made example. Since it is also 18 size it may have something in common with your example

Posts: 431 | Location: South Victoria, Australia | Registered: January 18, 2007
Picture of Sheila Gilbert
posted
If I remember correctly, Tom has information about this on his site. Peoria eventually made private label watches exclusively for the Non-Magnetic Watch Co. of Chicago. They made some very high end watches too.

Sheila

Posts: 3094 | Location: La Plata, Maryland U.S.A. | Registered: May 22, 2004
posted
You can trace the lineage of this fascinating company through the Cooksey Sugart book. It started out on the east coast. I think it was the Newark company. Then bought out by the Cornell company in Chicago after the great fire, moved from there to the west coast in an effort to exploit cheap Chinese labor, back to the east coast, and finally died in Peoria. It may have been bought out by a Japanese company after that. It moved from coast to coast twice. The first of a series of articles about this company appeared in the Bulletin a few years ago, but then the author passed away any nothing more was done with it.

Posts: 827 | Location: Bloomington, Illinois in the USA | Registered: September 29, 2008
posted
The article on the Peoria Watch Company appeared in the NAWCC Bulletin February 1996. It was titled "The Peoria Watch Story Part I-Peoria No. 1" by Eugene T. Fuller. The watchy factory, by the way, was later turned into a watch making school, and later still became Bradley University, of Peoria. Mr. Fuller sent me a detailed chronlogy of the family tree of the Peoria Company in 1984, if you would be interested in seeing it.

Posts: 827 | Location: Bloomington, Illinois in the USA | Registered: September 29, 2008
posted
Here is a Cornell watch made in Grand Crossing, Chicago:

posted
Here is another Cornell:

posted
Here is a watch made by the Independent Watch Co. of Fredonia, NY between the Cornell Watch Company and the Peoria Watch Company:

posted
Here is a Peoria Non-Magnetic:

posted
Here is another Non Magnetic:

posted
Here is a private lable Peoria with the Paillard's Patent non-magnetic spring:

posted
And here is a regular Peoria open face watch with a fifth pinion:

posted
Here's one made by Peoria Watch Co. for AC Smiths Non Magnetic Watch Co of America. 15 jewel Gold jewel settings, Paillards patent balance and spring. Nickel plates. S/N 22183

Posts: 39 | Location: Oklahoma City, Oklahoma USA | Registered: October 19, 2008