• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Philadelphia look-alike again "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Here is my Philadelphia look-alike watch after my watchmaker restored it. I had found a case that was approximately the right size for it. Note that he had to remake the winding hole in the dust cover, resize the movement to fit the case, and adapt another bezel to fit. Besides all that, he made a new staff and got it running great!

Posts: 827 | Location: Bloomington, Illinois in the USA | Registered: September 29, 2008
posted
The dial:

Posts: 827 | Location: Bloomington, Illinois in the USA | Registered: September 29, 2008
posted
Dust cover:

posted
Etc.:

posted
Etc., etc.:

posted
Etc., etc., etc.:

posted
My watchmaker tells me that there are only two dial feet, so it is surely a swiss product.

posted
Well done Steve turning the movement into a useable watch.

Please give your watchmaker my Best regards, he certainly worked overtime getting that movement and case combination to fit.

I've scores of Swiss and English cases here and equally scores of movements of Swiss, English And American origin, and not a single one will marry up!

If a movement will fit a case, it probably needs a neg set style or the key holes are in the wrong place, or hunter set instead of open face. Roll Eyes

I'm not a silversmith and life's too short to faff around trying to solder invisible patches into casebacks, so I'll likely as not end up dumping the lot on eBay or somewhere eventually.

The movement has a 'Swiss' look about it, but I've thought that about many movements that actually turned out to be of American origin.

Anyone else any clues?

Best regards

John

Posts: 1282 | Location: Northern England, United Kingdom | Registered: January 07, 2006
posted
Thanks for your insight, John. My watchmaker is Philip Stoller, right here in dear old Bloomington, Illinois. He did a great job. Thank goodness for standardised watch sizes here in the USA or there would be a lot more fine watch movements without cases floating around.

Steve