• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Some help please - Jules Jurgensen "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
I have joined this group and I need some help. My oncle lived in Switzerland and died last year and he passes me his collection of watches. I receive today from the lawyer a package which is one watch my oncle tells them to send specially and they ship the other watches later.

The watch is beautiful, it says Jules Jurgensen on the face, and is in a beautiful wooden box. How can I discover the price of this watch and then all the watches of his collection? Do people here know Jules Jurgensen?

I thank you for your help.

Posts: 9 | Location: United Kingdom/France | Registered: May 21, 2011
IHC Member 1335
Picture of Tom Brunton
posted
Jules Jurgensen of Copenhagen and Le Locle was a very high grade watch maker ,in fact one of the world's great watchmakers , and we'd love to see pictures of it,outside and inside ,wow!!! Sounds like a treasure to me Wink And the best investment you could make would be to buy the "Fat Book" from Lindell at IHC185 for researching general values of all your assorted watches. Anything not covered there , I'm sure I can speak for our many members in saying we'd be glad to continue helping you,as long as you give us time to catch our breath after revealing each new treasure to us Confused Roll Eyes Eek Wink Big Grin

https://ihc185.infopop.cc/eve/f...6019371/m/6423981757

Posts: 1746 | Location: Aylmer, Ontario in Canada | Registered: December 15, 2009
posted
Thank you Tom. I do not have my camera with me in London, but I return home tomorrow and I will get it. I hope to put up pictures next week.

posted
I find my cell phone USB, so here are pictures from my phone. Not very good but do they help?

posted
Second picture

IHC Member 1335
Picture of Tom Brunton
posted
Is there a sliding lever on the edge of the case? I seem to see an indication of the presence of one,or is it just a shadow? The pictures are not clear enough,but if it strikes the hour when you slide the button or lever,and has a wire coil on the edge of the movement then it is a repeater , and goes to a new higher level of complexity and quality.

Posts: 1746 | Location: Aylmer, Ontario in Canada | Registered: December 15, 2009
IHC Life Member
Picture of Eugene Buffard
posted
Welcome Marcell I'm sure that the watch you are showing does have a slide lever one the side. Which makes it a repeater. BIG BUCKS With out better photos and some dimensions of the watch. It would be hard for us to determine the value. I'm assuming that it is a solid gold watch. Does it have any gold marks inside the case. If you could wind the watch a few turns, then push on the slider on the outside of the watch it should Chime. Telling you the time of day. They made hour, 1/4 hour and the grandest of them all the minute repeater.

Posts: 3323 | Location: Illinois in the USA | Registered: July 06, 2010
posted
Welcome Marcel, That looks to be a very nice watch. Can't wait to see the others when they arrive and condolences on the loss of your father. Here is a link to a short history from Wikepedia.
Toms suggestion of the purchase of the watch guide is a great one and might help you with this one and the others too.
Jules Jurgenson
Ray

Posts: 1499 | Location: Rancho Cucamonga, California USA | Registered: December 20, 2006
posted
At last I have my camera and I have tried many ways to take good photographs. I think it is very difficult without correct lights, yes?

Here are the best photographs I have after many efforts. I hope they are good enough.

This watch is a repeating watch as Eugene has said, and I have never seen one like this. It sounds for each quarter hour. Also it has a glass back behind the workings. Is this usual for repeating watches?

I have now received from the lawyer a box with all the watches of my uncle, and there are 48 watches. There is also a big book in English called Complete Price Guide To Watches 2010 edition. Is this a good book? I have found Jules Jurgensen in this book. I think the book is very complicated and I do not understand how to find my watches in the book. I think one must be an expert of watches to use it, non?

I thank you for your help.

posted
Other photograph

IHC Member 1335
Picture of Tom Brunton
posted
WOW!!! What a beauty !!! If it strikes the 1/4 hours and not the minutes it is a 1/4 hour repeater,though in the 2011 book,it shows they made mostly 5 minute and minute repeaters . Did you wind it then move it past the hours and trigger the repeater mechanism ? It looks identical to a 32 jewel minute repeater in the 2011 book, It is a rare and magnificent watch by a top drawer maker , and in absolutely lovely condition. The glass dust cover on the movement was common among top grade makers,though a few low graders used the feature as well !! The book is last years version of what I advised was a great book that IHC185 sells , and will do you fine.

IHC Member 1335
Picture of Tom Brunton
posted

posted
Thank you so much for your help Tom. I see those pages in my book but it does not show a quarter repeat. I think that is less value than a 5 minute repeat? So perhaps my watch is worth 4.000 US dollars? Does the box have a value? It is fine acajou and it has a silver plaque with the name Jules Jurgensen.

Can you suggest how I will sell my watches? And also how I will know the correct prices? I have found in the box a Illinois watch and when I look at the book I find any many pages of Illinois. I can not find my watch so I can not find a price.

IHC Member 1335
Picture of Tom Brunton
posted
I can see the box going for anywhere from $500 to $1500 if it's a beauty but it's worth far more with it's original watch as a matched original pair. I would like to see an email of your other watches to see what there is , which would help determine what it is best to do. Please send to my email address which you can obtain by clicking on my name , regards,Tom

posted
I can not see your email Tom.

IHC Member 1335
Picture of Tom Brunton
posted
click my name and then click "user profile" Wink

posted
It says I must pay to read your profile.

Can you email me at macrosan (at) sky.com

IHC Member 1335
Picture of Tom Brunton
posted
hi Marcel ; yes membership has to be paid for but it's only $12 a year , and worth every penny!!!! Big Grin email sent and received ,thanks,Tom