Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Swiss made watch for Joslin & Park, Denver, Colo "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Swiss made watch for Joslin & Park, Denver, Colo

This is a watch I found recently but don't know anything about it other than what is in the title. Will you knowledgeable people help me identify the maker, age, movement specifics, and other specifics. The case is a YGF IWC Co Supreme that I see no other screw marks in but don't think that mean much. What do you think it is?

Posts: 98 | Location: Boone, North Carolina USA | Registered: December 16, 2005
posted
Another movement picture

posted
Dial

IHC Member 2030
posted
I have no knowledge for you Mr. Cooke , however that is a Avery attractive timepiece.
Looks Swiss?
Very nice!

Posts: 1114 | Location: Virginia Beach, Virginia in the USA | Registered: February 08, 2015
IHC Member 1291
Picture of Buster Beck
posted
This appears to be a mid to hi-grade Swiss watch with the patented "snail" regulator, and nicely finished damaskeened plates with bright red Ruby jewels. The style of the movement suggests 1890-1900 time period to me. Is the serial # 88934 ?? The serial number may help in dating it closer than my "guesstimate" when someone identifies it. I would say it was made by a well respected Swiss company for Joslin & Park.

Jervis Joslin and Boyd Park, two jewelers, opened "Joslin & Park" in Denver, COLORADO in 1866 and were in business till 1897. There were other branches of their stores in Salt Lake City, UTAH, Cheyenne, WYOMING, and Leadville, COLORADO.

They were succeeded by Dick Bennion Jewelry in 1974 to the present and located in downtown Salt Lake City, UTAH. Bill Bennion son of Dick Bennion bought the store from his father in 1990. Bill runs a crew of 4 in his store, a watch repairman, a jewelry designer, and two sales staff employees. Their contact information is; 15 West South Temple Suite 120 * 801-364-3667 * Hours- 10-5:30 Monday-Friday and 10-4 on Saturday. It is possible they may shed some light on your watch and/or be interested in it since their roots were with Joslin & Park.

regards,
bb

Posts: 6376 | Location: Texas in the USA | Registered: July 27, 2009
posted
Thanks Mike and Buster for the information. The serial number is 88934, 16 size, and the movement is marked Switzerland. Someone suggested the movement plates were Meylan. I was able to find Pateks marked Joslin & Park but a brief search didn't show other Swiss makers. Ebay has a 12 size watch with similar "look" but isn't marked as to maker either. Thanks again for any information you can provide.

IHC Life Member
Picture of Ethan Lipsig
posted
A renowned expert once told me that movements like yours often were finished by Agassiz, but that LeCoultre made the ebauche, launching the caliber in the early 1890s and patenting the click/spring combination in 1895.

See if Agassiz's "fish" symbol trademark is stamped on the pillar plate.

Posts: 1414 | Location: Pasadena, California USA | Registered: November 11, 2005
posted
Thanks Ethan. I can't find that symbol anywhere and I can't disassemble (any get it back). The only other thing I found was the "nted" from I assume patented. I'll continue looking and think it is a nice looking watch. It needs a 14k-18k case for sure.

Life Member
posted
It may have been re-cased, but that begs the question of WHY? Why would someone take a relatively high grade watch and re-case it in other than precious metal, therefore lowering its value?

I am therefore inclined to suspect that may be the original case.

Then again, I have an historian's prejudice towards museum pieces and collectibles. I am against "restoration", and prefer to "maintain" things, as found, believing that is part of their history.

Posts: 213 | Location: Westminster, Maryland in the USA | Registered: March 02, 2015
posted
exactly what says Ethan, is a Lecoultre Ebauches feature the mustache anchor.
regards enrico

Posts: 25 | Location: Torino in Italy | Registered: January 28, 2014
posted
Thanks for all the great information provided by all. Clayton