Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Swiss-Rus. trade watch, who made it? "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
The following pictures are of a Russian language marked "Chronos" 15 Jewel with a Jewel mount in the Hour Hand. This is a well used and very clean running Silver Hunter-cased Key Wind, Key Setting Swiss made watch that came (most recently) from on the Gaspe Peninsula (south shore of the St Lawrence). It also has a uniquely home-made looking key that works very well.

Anybody have the slightest clue about who, where and when this was made?!

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
A "clean running" well-used movement.

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Nice case, and very unique wind and set key!

IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Definetly a made for Russia piece!

posted
An interesting find David, thanks for posting the pic's.
I've no idea what the Russian text says, but if anyone can translate, it'd be interesting to know what it says.

The movement has certainly seen some life, and looks to be a 'generic' Swiss lever type, no idea who 'Chronos' is or was though, maybe someone here can help?

Can you take a close look at the centre wheel David?
If I'm not mistaken, there appear to be a few teeth leaning over a touch on the balance side next to the wheel arm.
It could be some distortion in the photo, but if they are leaning, the damage was probably caused by the backlash effects of a broken mainspring.

Best regards

John

Posts: 1282 | Location: Northern England, United Kingdom | Registered: January 07, 2006
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Thank you John for your attention to this watch question. I carefully inspected the watch and saw little if any damage to the teeth. I cropped the image and it looks like spherical aberration from the optics.

IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Also, I found a very similar movement in about the right time zone that was handled by Payne & Co., New Bond St., London in the 1870's which is about right for this too. (p154 A. Shenton; "Pocket Watches of the 19th & 20th Century?"
The similarity this "typical swiss" movement is notably the uniquely identical reinforcing plates for the Wind and set mechanism, ans also the type of "Click" attachement to the side of the plate is all virtually identical to my watch.

posted
David and John,

My very rusty Russian, coupled with some changes to their language over the past hundred years, tells me that the text on the cuvette reads something like...

Russian Watch
15 jewel lever
Chronos (at least phonetically)
Accurate Movement (roughly)

Interesting to me that the "Chronos" name is in English (or at least uses Roman alphabet) the on the dial, and Cyrillic on the case.

No idea who made it, but I'd guess late 1800s.

For what it's worth,

Cary

Posts: 267 | Location: Huntsville, Alabama USA | Registered: December 12, 2005
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Thank you Cary. The translation fits on all points, even as dirty as it is, it is about 5 sec'day accurate even now. Also it is temnperature compensated, as the room it is testing in varies from 45 - 80 deg F. (Our so. Cal. Bedroom, we leave unheated).

The Beautiful casework, Pinned dial, and Key wound movement tell me late 1870's. Using the Latin-Roman naming on the Dial was probably a "class act", kind of like all the English-worded Store signs in Asia.

Time for a careful cleaning and inspection. I think I will turn this over to my Russian-Born "Maestro" who still makes his own parts (when need be). He was trained in Belarus, and can also translate excatly what it says and maybe research the mvt. even more.

posted
Thanks for the translation Cary, sounds good to me!
Would be interesting to see if your repairman can add anything David, although I think he'll draw a blank on the movement maker.
There may be an ebauche mark somewhere on the dial plate, but I would doubt any more than that.

The reinforcing plate across the barrel bridge is vital on these movements, and often is the only thing preventing them falling apart.

Because the bridge is cut so deep for the ratchet and click, and there being only one screw at each end, the bridge would eventually break at this point and bend like a banana without it.
I rather suspect your chap is going to find some wear there - which is very difficult to eradicate!

It's not uncommon the find the hole worn totally through at this point, and many of the type only have this bridge supporting the mainspring arbour.
Eventually, wear causes the barrel to tilt and the teeth to rub on the underside of the centre wheel - stopping the watch.

Would be interested to hear any updates though.

Beat regards

John

Posts: 1282 | Location: Northern England, United Kingdom | Registered: January 07, 2006