Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Is my "Dollar" watch a Longines L20B? "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
This is a Private label, "E.V.Speer, Wausau, WI watch, s/n 649176. I hate to admit, I got it for a dollar at a garage sale. It runs great, keeping w/i 30 sec a day and . . .

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
I liked the gold "Horsey" on the back cover . . .

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
and when I got home, I opened it, and it sure looks like a Longines L20B c.a. 1880 - 90! Any thoughts on this?

IHC Life Member
Picture of Donald Trumble
posted
David,

I do not know much about the watch, but the case is a beauty!

Don

Posts: 504 | Location: Pennsylvania in the USA | Registered: April 02, 2005
posted
Very nice watch David, want to triple your money? Big Grin Looks like Longines to me.

Ray

Posts: 1499 | Location: Rancho Cucamonga, California USA | Registered: December 20, 2006
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
That Horse is solid Gold, My miracle watchmaker Vladimir went nuts when he saw it. I need a better 0.900 Hunter case for the Mvt, tho, as it looks to be re-cased. I have a special place in my heart for Longines as one stayed with me during a long and painful trip thru "jungle-land".

IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

You did great Dave Smile you can buy watches for me anytime!

I remember in my childhood the voice of Andre' Baruch for "Longines, the World's Most Honored Watch" on radio and television. Longines watches are a class act all the way. Here is an Open-Face version that is even earlier...LONGINES 18-SIZE IN A BEAUTIFUL CASE! (ENDS TUESDAY 12TH AT 22:00)

I know little about these particular ones, but... Roll Eyes

I had to pay more than a dollar for this one...

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
That's a real beaut Lindell, should pull good money at auction! I am fascinated by these older Longines Private Lab el;s, I have a Gladstone KW/KS that really "smells" Longiney, but there have been some "expert doubters". Any new opinions?

IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
It must be swiss, and it's a nice watch, even if it isn't Lon gines!

IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Silver Case and all!

IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Works like new and even keeps good time!

posted
David, you´re right, it´s a LONGINES.
My best regards
Tony

http://www.faszination-uhrwerk.de

Posts: 17 | Location: Konstanz, Germany | Registered: November 29, 2005
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Antonios Thank you for the confirmation. You have a beautiful web site. What an inspiration!

posted
Hello David,
as you see, I love my hobby and do it with lot of enthousiasm. To present such nearly forgotten beautys I help others to identify them. Should be also a kind of help for auction houses.

With LONGINES you should have this book:
ISBN 978-2-9700558-5-3, Patrick Linder "At the Heart oh an Industrial Vocation"
This book should be in every library.

In this book I found your movement. The caliber 20B was key wound and first produced in 1869. Even that the movement design was in the opposite (your balance cock comes from right, the 20B from left), I estimate that the 20B had some versions like the old (early) and the second (newer) version. The better answer would be to measure the diameter and then look for the exact caliber type.
I´ll edit some rare LONGINES types later at my sites for you.
My best regards
Tony

Posts: 17 | Location: Konstanz, Germany | Registered: November 29, 2005