Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

H.White Freesprung Escapement Help Needed!. "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
All,

I'm bringing one of my old topics into this forum, in the hope someone can provide some details by way of photo's of the type of escapement used in a pre - WW1 Freesprung pocket watch I have.

My original topic and photo's regarding the watch is posted in the Military Pocket Watch forum here:

https://ihc185.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/990103944/m/9171034612

Having discussed the topic briefly with Greg, we decided it would be a good idea to link the two together, as this one is dealing primarily with the technical aspects of the watch rather than its provenance.

My watch is missing its Balance, Staff, Roller, Hairspring and Lever/Pallet assemblies.

At present it is fitted with a Swiss style club tooth escape wheel, which historically is incorrect - it would have originally had an English Lever type wheel with a pointed tooth form.

I have been advised that the Swiss lever arrangement became a common modification on this type of watch, it being more robust and easier to service - and probably why my watch became partially converted.

If anyone can help, I'm particularly needing good clear macro shots of typical balances, hairsprings, Roller table and escapewheel / lever arrangements used in 3/4 plate Freesprung watches of the period - either with English Lever or Swiss Club Tooth escape wheels.

Of the watches I've observed to date, the balances seem to have been of a cut bi-metalic compensation type with Gold timing screws. Hairsprings used have been either Breguet Overcoil Or Helical types.

The lever on my watch would have been a counterpoised sidelever type, with the pallet arm under the lever.

Although I've now a better idea of what the balance rim and arms would have looked like, I've no firm idea of the overcoil shape, or how the typical roller, lever or pallets would have looked - whether ruby slips in steel pallets were used, or pallet jewels inserted into cages - all the photo's I've seen so far of these escapements have lacked sufficient detail to determine what was used.

I'm hoping to restore this watch to working order, and with an escapement as close in detail as to how it would have looked when originally issued.

If you're unable to help with good photo's, a description of the components will be ok - if you could include some dimensions, that would be a real bonus!.

Any help here would be greatly appreciated.

Best regards

John.

Posts: 1282 | Location: Northern England, United Kingdom | Registered: January 07, 2006