Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Two Mystery Swiss PWs "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Hi Folks

Happy New Year one and all.

I would appreciate it if sks could identify the following 2 pws and provide info like manufacturer and date of manufacture etc.

(1) ~16s, OF, 7J in a gunmetal case. No other markings on the case or movement. Presumably the minute hand would have been a skeleton hand also.It looks like a Swiss Military pws?

(2) ~0s, OF, 15J in a gunmetal case. The movement has the name Luuville on it.

How does one restore gunmetal cases or does one discard them and replace?

I have attached pics of both watches.

Gordon

Posts: 184 | Location: Christchurch, New Zealand | Registered: February 02, 2007
posted
Gordon,

The hands on the first watch do look a bit mis matched - should probably both be 'Cathedral' style - the hour hand looks 'almost' correct but looks as if the centre wires are missing.

The cases can be restored, but it's a filthy messy and tedious job!

You need to pick out the plugs from the hinges, then press out the pins - that will be a job in itself!

The bezel and case back can then be spun in a lathe and cleaned up with fine wet or dry, or even fine emery tape if really bad, but there's a lot of hand finishing to do!

All pits and scratches need to be got out too, and then cleaned until absolutely clean of any grease or silicone!

I use 'Gun Blacking / Bluing' solution on my cases - which takes better on these if warmed up and left to soak a while.
When the desired degree of 'Blue/Blck' coating is reached, wash the parts and then oil them to stop any corrosion or patchyness forming on the coating.
It will stabilise after a while, but needs to be handled with care initially otherwise acid on fingertips will mark the coating.

If you visit your local gunsmiths' they should have either bluing salts (in paste form) or bottles of fluid.
I've used both - fluid works best for me with larger parts such as watch bits, but salts are good for wiping onto smaller areas for local repairs.

Good luck - best wear gloves if your OH doesn't like mucky fingernails! Big Grin

All the best

John

Posts: 1282 | Location: Northern England, United Kingdom | Registered: January 07, 2006
posted
Hi John

Thanks for your advice. I think this will be a winter project when the weather dictates I can't venture outside.

Gordon

Posts: 184 | Location: Christchurch, New Zealand | Registered: February 02, 2007