Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

A No Name Pocket Watch Quandry "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Hello everyone;

I was hoping by posting a few photos of what I purchased recently, I thought perhaps our members could help me determine what it is I have. I actually bought it for one reason, I just liked the looks of it. If you can tell me what I have I would be most appreciative.

The number on the dial is 50582 and on the movement is 112965, and I think it's either an 18 or slightly larger.

Thanks

Bud

Posts: 449 | Location: Ontario in Canada | Registered: September 28, 2010
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
You have a "Doctor's Watch" that was probably finished and timed in England then cased in Canada from a swiss-made "ebauche" movement. In the late 19Th century, there were many of these made. When used as a stop-start "tmer" the time accuracy was degraded because they actually stop the whole movement with a "hack" spring actuated by the side mounted case switch

This was due to the direct drive sweep second hand using counter wheels pivoted on the top plate (note the rest of the wheel train pivots are NOT there.)

Nice basic watch.

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
posted
Thank you very much Dave, I appreciate you taking the time to help me with this. Thanks too for the interesting information.

It is indeed a nice watch. As you say, not one of the more sought after watches but nice anyway. I shall keep it in my collection and enjoy it. It's in extremely fine condition.

Could you hazard a guess as to who the maker could or may have been Dave?

Bud.

quote:
You have a "Doctor's Watch" that was probably finished and timed in England then cased in Canada from a swiss-made "ebauche" movement. In the late 19Th century, there were many of these made. When used as a stop-start "tmer" the time accuracy was degraded because they actually stop the whole movement with a "hack" spring actuated by the side mounted case switch

This was due to the direct drive sweep second hand using counter wheels pivoted on the top plate (note the rest of the wheel train pivots are NOT there.)

Nice basic watch.

posted
Hello again Dave;

Since you were so kind to provide the information I was searching for I used your help to find this on Wikepidia. Until today I'd never heard the term ébauche.

Thanks again Dave.

Bud

"History

Until about 1850, the watchmaker's ébauche consisted of two plates with pillars and bars, the barrel, fusée, index, pawl and ratchet-wheel, along with a few assembling screws. These parts were all roughly filed and milled. The steel and brass were manufactured in a special workshop. The ébauche was finished by watchmakers in a finishing shop.

During the Industrial Revolution, new components were introduced by the Waltham Watch Company and the development of the American System of Watch Manufacturing, establishing the base of modern watch manufacture."

quote:
........ timed in England then cased in Canada from a swiss-made "ebauche" movement