Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Perla W. Co. Pocket Watch "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Dan Carter
posted
I usually post on the American PW Forum, but a coworker brought this watching for me to clean up and get back into running condition. It says it is Swiss made, "PERLA W. CO.", 15 Jewels, 2 Adjustments. It looks to be a thin 16s size watch. I have included a few pics because my knowledge of swiss watches is limited.
As for the watch history, all I know is that her grandfather owned the watch before the turn of the century and she had it looked at by a jeweler who said it was not worth much. I was not able to find it in the "great big book of values", so I am trying to see if anyone out there is familiar with the watch and if it (or the case) is worth anything, Thanks.
Dan

Posts: 407 | Location: Northern Virginia in the USA | Registered: October 08, 2011
Picture of Dan Carter
posted
Back Cover. Says "PERLA W. Co." - "SWISS"

Posts: 407 | Location: Northern Virginia in the USA | Registered: October 08, 2011
Picture of Dan Carter
posted
Bottom of Cover. Has a Squirrel (Which I think means 14 K Gold - not sure if that is plated, rolled, or solid. Also has the number 56, K14 (guessing 14 Karat), and 0.585 (looks like content marking) in a upside down keystone. Next to the keystone is another mark that I can not make out, but looks like a squirrel as well, just smaller. It also has the number 50, a star (for Basel?) and the serial number for the case 160885.

Picture of Dan Carter
posted
This is inside the Cuvette. Similar markings to the back cover.

Picture of Dan Carter
posted
The movement itself. Says PERLA W. Co. next to the balance on the plate bridge and has 15 Jewels and 2 Adjustments. It also has a serial number that almost matches the case. Off by 30.

Picture of Dan Carter
posted
A better view of the word PERLA W. CO.

Picture of Dan Carter
posted
A better view of the SWISS mark, the Jewel count and the Adjustments.

Picture of Dan Carter
posted
The dial and hands. SWISS at the bottom.

Picture of Dan Carter
posted
Squirrel on the stem.

Picture of Dan Carter
posted
Squirrel on the inside case.

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
The squirrel was the Swiss hallmark for 14K or .585 gold.

Posts: 5107 | Location: New Mexico in the USA | Registered: January 27, 2007
Picture of Dan Carter
posted
Thanks Tom, is there a way to tell if the case is 14K solid, or rolled or played gold? I do not see any wear through on the case but have no way to determine if it is gold over base or solid. Thanks again for the info!
Dan

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
It is my understanding that if the squirrel mark was used it was solid 14K gold. I have never owned one myself but searching on the web that is what I have found.

Posts: 5107 | Location: New Mexico in the USA | Registered: January 27, 2007
Picture of Peter Kaszubski
posted
its solid 14K

Posts: 4395 | Location: Arizona in the USA | Registered: July 23, 2011
Picture of Dan Carter
posted
Does anyone have any ideas about the movement? I have not heard of them before and there is little to no info about them on the net (funny to look up "Perla W. Co." and get my own post). At any rate, A little info on Perla Watch Company history would be good, or something that states the watch is a replica of another watch, etc. My guess is that it was not a big name watch company and therefore did not make it very far, but I would still like to get what ever informaton might be available about it.

Thanks Tom and Peter for your insights into the case.

Picture of Dan Carter
posted
I found this. Needed to be translated from German so some of the words don't quite match:
http://translate.google.com/tr...S1Cg&ved=0CEoQ7gEwAA

Looks like Perla was owned by J. Straub. Interesting history.