Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

A. Lange & Sons? "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Mary Ann Scott
posted
I found this watch and am concerned that it may not be completely correct. I have not seen a dial with "A. Lange & Sons" before, always "Sohne" with the two little lines over the "o". The balance cock looks to be a replacement and there is no whiplash regulator as I would expect to see. Unfortunately, it has been recased.

Has "Sons" ever been used on an A. Lange dial?

Here is the link.....

A. Lange & Sons

Posts: 1047 | Location: The Colony, Texas in the USA | Registered: December 20, 2008
posted
Marry Ann

It's a Lange watch made for the american market (nickel plated movement).
It is not the first 1A quality that would have a diamond cup stone at the lever and it is a recased watch and therefore has only a value less than the half of a genuine watch.
There is one explanation for the missing micro regulator. At the time the watch was made the 'whiplash' or 'gooseneck' type was covered by US patents (I don't know who held them?). The swiss manufacturers avoided patent struggle by using a different type like in Zenith or Longines watches (this was a swiss patent used by many firms). At the same time Lange had problems with swiss copies of his watches.
Unfortunately the pictures are not good enough to argue about the actual situation of the movement.(intention?)
I'am not sure if the pin setting is original.

Regards,
Gerald

Posts: 742 | Location: Wertheim in Germany | Registered: February 21, 2009
posted
Thank you very much, Gerald! I knew you would have the answers! Smile

I did not know that Lange made watches specifically to be exported to America. The dial then makes sense as does the issue of the balance cock and lack of whiplash regulator.

This exported model does not seem to have all the extra touches that Lange is famous for. Do you know if that was true for all the exported ones?

This seller's pictures are never extra sharp looking, but he/she has excellent feedback, so I would say it's not intentional.

The high bid is at $1100.00 right now with less than a day to go. I didn't pay that much more for mine in a solid gold case! I guess I got a bargain. Big Grin

Posts: 1047 | Location: The Colony, Texas in the USA | Registered: December 20, 2008
posted
The exported watches had the same quality than the others. The only difference was the nickel-plate finish on the movememt plates, the different dial, the missing of a micro regulator in the period in the time perid this whiplash type was covered by US patent and the missing of original (18k solid gold) cases in a time when the States put high taxes on gold import to protect their market and 'push' the own industry.
A price of one grand for a solid gold (recase ?; I don't remember if) is sure a bargain and could be the price of a movement only in good condition on the german market. Smile

Regards,
Gerald

Posts: 742 | Location: Wertheim in Germany | Registered: February 21, 2009
posted
Thanks again, Gerald!

It sold for $1625.00, and was re-cased, so perhaps a bit high, especially as it is stated to have a broken staff.

With a repair and cleaning, someone still got themselves a very fine watch.

Thanks, as always, for the information! Smile