• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Help with Approx. Era this Fusee was Made in? "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Please help me identify the approximate year of the making of this fusee movement. The case is hallmarked for 1869. The movement is probably much older .... but about what year would you estimate? There were a number of Edwards watchmakers listed in London in Baillie's text ... but most are in the 1700s when fusee movements were in vogue. Thanks very much for your comments about this particular watch which you can see at:
Identifying Fusee Movement Smile

John F. Murray

Posts: 48 | Location: Palm Beach, Florida in the USA | Registered: April 28, 2008
posted
John,
I've just looked in my Britten's book and I can't find a match for the maker of your movement.

Owning a few fusees myself I would guess your movement is not from the 1700's, but is
in fact closer to the vintage of your case, i.e. 1869

Dave Freeman
IHC Member 321

Posts: 976 | Location: Texas in the U.S.A. | Registered: January 27, 2004
posted
thanks so much dave! Others are telling me the same. I am learning this fun hobby and did not realize that fusees were being made right up until the early 1900s in some case ... this one is from the 1860s for sure. Best to ya, John in Palm Beach Smile

John F. Murray

Posts: 48 | Location: Palm Beach, Florida in the USA | Registered: April 28, 2008
posted
John,

As you say, there are several 'Edwards' listed for London, and actually quite a few in the 1800's

In Loomes Watchmakers book, there are 2x 'James Edwards' listed in London for 1828 - 44 & 1875 - 81 respectively, both of these slightly out of the timeframe for the case marks.

There is also a John Edwards listed for London 1869 - 75, which is very likely your man.
No location given unfortunately, and no entries for 'J.D.Edwards & co either.

The movement is about right for that date too, and of good quality as you would expect to find in an 18ct case.
The dial will almost certainly be solid gold too as will the balance.
The end stone appears to be diamond.

A very nice watch, thanks for posting it for us to see.

Best regards

John

Posts: 1282 | Location: Northern England, United Kingdom | Registered: January 07, 2006