• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Swiss Private Label "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
I bought this watch because of the personalized name; "Geo. Hanna, Rushville, Ills."

Posts: 827 | Location: Bloomington, Illinois in the USA | Registered: September 29, 2008
posted
It looks like a L9ongenes to me, but I wouldn't mind getting a second opinion if anyone has any other ideas.

Posts: 827 | Location: Bloomington, Illinois in the USA | Registered: September 29, 2008
posted
Is it just a curious item, or is it worth repairing?

posted
It obviously needs hands, and the balance staff is broken. It could run into some complicated work!

IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
This is a Longines Cal. L20B movement that is confirmed by the winged hourglass on the Balance cock. The serial number dates it correctly as a stem wind version to the early 1880's. Being a double-signed US private label Cal.#L20B watch with a near perfect dial and serviceable movement, It deserves a full restoration.

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
posted
Thanks a lot, David. I will turn it over to my watchmaker today.

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Steve

The only George Hanna I could find living in Rushville in that time frame was a George Hanna born about 1856 in Illinois & in the 1880 census he is listed as a silversmith.

Tom

Posts: 5107 | Location: New Mexico in the USA | Registered: January 27, 2007
posted
Hey, that's interesting! A silversmith in Rushville, Illinois. That's a very small town to be supporting someone with a craft like that. Thanks, Tom!