• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Patek Philippe with Tennis History "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
I recently acquired this Patek Philippe pocket watch, 18K gold and of historical significance in tennis, as you will see. It was retailed by Black, Starr & Frost Gorham Inc. and given to the the President of the United States Lawn Tennis Association for his service over the years 1931-1932. Please see images of this watch and the original owner at:
Tennis Patek Philippe

I am curious what the forum thinks of this one. The movement is signed Patek Phillipe Serial Number 809667 (so it was produced between the years 1925 and 1930). I am heavily involved in pro tennis as a coach and a sport psychologist, and love watches, so this was a natural. Anyone who can comment on the specific qualities of this watch I'd really love to hear from you. Also, what impact would sports historical significance have on the value of a watch like this with this inscription so clear and the date and owner so obvious? This one is 18 jewels and 44.1 mm in diameter. Any insight into the quality of this watch is highly appreciated. I love this one ... and wanted to share the photos. Enjoy and thanks for your comments.

John F. Murray

Posts: 48 | Location: Palm Beach, Florida in the USA | Registered: April 28, 2008
IHC Life Member
Picture of Donald Trumble
posted
Welcome to IHC185 John, you'll find the most helpful and friendly people right here!

Your Patek is beautiful, all Pateks are special and the presentation on yours really turns up the volume. Thanks for sharing this beautiful watch with all of us. Smile

Don

Posts: 504 | Location: Pennsylvania in the USA | Registered: April 02, 2005
posted
Hello John, and welcome to '185. Talk about an entrance! That is a dazzling watch. I am glad your with us. I look forward to seeing more of your collection. I think you'll find quite a few other here share your tastes. Again, Welcome Aboard! Mike

posted
Thanks Mike and Donald! I don't have many watches, but this one is special because of my involvement in tennis! It also happens to be the finest brand ... not too shabby a timekeeper Cool

John F. Murray

Posts: 48 | Location: Palm Beach, Florida in the USA | Registered: April 28, 2008
12-Size Expert
Picture of Robert Schussel
posted
John
In many collectors eyes Pateks are the Rolls Royces of Pocket Watches.

You watch has wolf teeth gears which are only seen in the best watches and the parts finish is as good as it gets.

I do think that there are some other comparable brands in the 1870s-1890s such as Jules Jurgensen and in the early 1900s Cartier,Audemar,Ekegren etc that are of similar quality but in todays market the Patek name commands a large premium.

You have a wonderful and very special watch .
Bob

Posts: 621 | Location: Vallejo, California U.S.A. | Registered: July 10, 2004
posted
Thanks for your info Robert! Yeah ... this one is my baby for now! Smile ... I am learning a lot from these posts and need to learn so much more about these fun pocket watches ... let me know if you ever come across watches with sports historical or other historical significance!!

John F. Murray

posted
I found out a little more information about the original owner of this watch, Louis J. Carruthers, but there is still much to learn. This was thanks to and email from the famous tennis historian Bud Collins and you can see his email to me at:
Louis J Carruthers Page

If anyone has any insight into digging more into the history of this person let me know ... but I would assume this forum is more interested in the watch than the man who owned it. All I can find aside from what Bud has told me is that he was married to a Helen and had a daughter named Mary. I would love to find his obit. He was born in 1878 but there is no record anywhere that I can find about his death, marriage certificate or other. He was a very well known figure in tennis with hundreds of articles in which he is quoted all over the country from 1931-1934 ... then he falls off the planet! I would love to establish how his family ever let this gorgeous Patek Philippe watch leave their possession! Thanks to me I now own it .. but the curiosity is driving me mad Smile

John F. Murray

posted
well ... I found his obit in the NY Times. He died on November 30, 1960. I was born on November 30, 1961! His son in law was a man named John Francis. My first and middle names are John Francis. His daughter was Mary. My daughter and wife are Mary. He was into tennis. I am the author of Smart Tennis. I own his watch. How weird is all of this now? :-) !!!
You can see his obit at:
Obit of Louis J Carruthers

John F. Murray