• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

A very rare watch...HAMPTON ROADS ??? "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Can anyone provide information about this pocket watch? I've looked everywhere, but I cannot find any information. It appears to have a quality movement. Any help would be appreciated tremendously.

Thanks for your help,
Bob

18 size, "Hampton Roads" and "Specially Adjusted" on the dial, lever set, double-sunk, 3-winder, open face, engraved case with a deep "flowery" engraved movement. The movement also has these markings: "Heat and Cold", "Hampton Roads", "Six Positions", "Highly Jeweled", "637421"

Posts: 3 | Location: Normal, Illinois USA | Registered: December 27, 2005
IHC Vice President
Pitfalls Moderator
IHC Life Member
Picture of Edward L. Parsons, Jr.
posted
Bob,

Looks like a Swiss fake to me, i.e. a cheaply-made imported watch meant to masquerade as a high-quality American railroad watch. Swiss fakes were the fake Rolexes of their day.

The key words "Highly Jewelled" and "Specially Adjusted" are classic earmarks of a Swiss Fake, as is the American-sounding name "Hampton Roads."

For more information on Swiss fakes, see Shugart's Complete Guide to Watches, page 97 in the 2005 or 2006 edition, or check out these prior IHC discussion threads on Swiss fakes.

Best Regards,

Ed

Posts: 6696 | Location: Southwestern Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: April 19, 2004
posted
Thank you, Ed. Although the movement has the earmarks of quality, the finish isn't what I would expect of a true railroad grade pocket watch. Everything seems a little soft to me. I'm sure you are right. Thankfully, I don't have anything invested. Have a good weekend.

Best regards,
Bob Piker

Posts: 3 | Location: Normal, Illinois USA | Registered: December 27, 2005
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

This one has a pretty dial, you can see why these have been fooling buyers for over a hundred years. A give-away is the "Highly Jeweled" marking... they tried a little too hard to sell these things.

"Just Walk Away Renee" Big Grin

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002