Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Fusee Help? "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Bruce Byrd
posted
I recently purchased this Fusee which is in really good shape. I need some help with the hallmarks. The movement fits the case like a glove but I am wondering if this was the original case. When was this type of movement mfg? If nothing else, it keeps good time (1 min in 24 hours )

Bruce Byrd

Posts: 888 | Location: San Diego, California USA | Registered: December 27, 2002
Picture of Bruce Byrd
posted
Pic of movement

Bruce Byrd

Posts: 888 | Location: San Diego, California USA | Registered: December 27, 2002
Picture of Bruce Byrd
posted
and dial

Bruce Byrd

posted
Bruce,

The hallmark is letter dated from the chester office and is for 1898..a quick search of my book does not reveal the case makers mark to identify the name of the maker.. Movement is typical lever fusee and while it is a bit late for a fusee it is not uncommon.. With the double sunk dial I would say the case date and watch date match fine.. .. I can not find a Livingston listed either.

Posts: 638 | Location: Green Bay, Wisconsin USA | Registered: November 22, 2002
posted
J Adkins & Son, Fleet Street, Coventry-1896

Case number matches movement number, most likely original to watch.

Posts: 767 | Location: Los Osos, California USA | Registered: December 12, 2002
posted
Bruce,
Nice example of an English Lever fusee, appears to be a diamond endstone too, so quite a decent movement.
I've no info on Livingstone at all in any of my Loomes/Baillie's books, so either he was a retailer, or no known examples of his work, or apprenticeship records have been doccumented.

The UK 1901 census (on line via ancestry.com) may throw up some record of him. If you can find him, the census will state his age, occupation, birth place etc.

The casemaker is J.Adkins as Jerry correctly states, but that actual shield mark on the watch was registered by Adkins on 31st January 1898, which matches the hallamrk. The shield in use in 1896 by Adkins was an Oval.
Hope this helps.

Best regards
John.

Posts: 1282 | Location: Northern England, United Kingdom | Registered: January 07, 2006
Picture of Bruce Byrd
posted
Thanks guys.. Jerry, I did not put two and two together until you mentioned the case number matching the watch number... Duhhhh Roll Eyes

One to many guiness drafts when I posted this... Wink Thank you gentlemen for your help

Bruce Byrd