Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Haymen Berg And Co. Chicago "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
This is my latest catch. Size 10. 17 Jewels
Serial No. 2504842
Can,t seem to find anything on this at the moment. Will have the watch in my hands by Thursday or Friday.
Regards

IHC Member 1193

Posts: 216 | Location: Key Biscayne, Florida in the USA | Registered: October 21, 2008
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Found this looking around the web.

Hyman, Berg & Co.
Chicago, IL 1882-1930's Harry S. Hyman and Morris H. Berg. Successor
to Wendell & Hyman

Also Illinois Watch Co. made some movement for them

Hyman Jewelers

Posts: 5107 | Location: New Mexico in the USA | Registered: January 27, 2007
posted
Thank You very much Tom. It will be intresting to see who actualy made the movement for this watch.
The photo of the actual store where this watch may have come from is most appreciated.

IHC Member 1193

Posts: 216 | Location: Key Biscayne, Florida in the USA | Registered: October 21, 2008
posted
This looks a lot like an Omega to me, or maybe a Zenith. The Non Magnetic swiss movements are also similar to this.

Posts: 827 | Location: Bloomington, Illinois in the USA | Registered: September 29, 2008
posted
Steve I looked at the Ranfft site and found the Zenith 18.5 and 19.5 look very similar to mine, only diffrence is the ones on the site have 15 jewels while mine had 17.

IHC Member 1193

posted
Forgot to mention that the watch is cased in a Dueber case serial number 8043797.
I must say that I'm totally impressed with this watch. It runs smoothly,not skipping a beat. the case is near mint, dial is flawless. The only thing is a slight bend in the hour hand. Aside from this, there is nothing wrong with this watch that I can tell.
Regards

IHC Member 1193

posted
Nice catch Chris, Very very nice!
Well done.

Best regards

John

Posts: 1282 | Location: Northern England, United Kingdom | Registered: January 07, 2006
posted
Thank You John. Having a bit of trouble identifing the movement. It could be an Omega or a longines. John, hate to put you on the spot, but can you help?

Regards

IHC Member 1193

posted
Chris, been taking a look through my watch guides and other illustrations for companies that used that style of regulator.

Gruen, Patek Philipe & Agassiz all used that style with only slight variations, so it's certainly of their ilk.
Maybe checking (if you can) which companies they used for their ebauches you could narrow it down some.

I have a Zenith wristwatch movement here, but the micro regulator although similar, is just too different for it to be Zenith I think - but I'm often wrong!.

If you can match up the bridge layout plus the screw set jewels to any of them, you'll probably nail it.

If you have the dial off at any point (would I dare???) there may be a trademark there, or even a calibre number somewhere (usually near the balance.

Going now, the drool is messing up my keyboard! Roll Eyes Big Grin

John

Posts: 1282 | Location: Northern England, United Kingdom | Registered: January 07, 2006
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Most all the details, regulator design and plate cuts make this a very collectible "DDR" grade Omega Cal.19. Compare it with the large perspective photo of the DDR 19 Grade Omega on pg. 534 of the 2008 price guide. They are usually 19 and 21 Jewels, but being a private label, I have little doubt this is that grade, just not spiffy'd up with 2 extra motor barrel jewels.

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
posted
Thanks David. I've found an Omega 19HN in the "Pink Pages, here is the link:http://www.ranfft.de/cgi-bin/bidfun-db.cgi?10&ranfft&&2uswk&Omega_19
I concur with you that it does look lime my movement even though mine has 17 jewels and the one from the link has 15. Another thing. My watch has a microregulator, that does not appear in the Ranfft example.]I concur with you that it does look lime my movement even though mine has 17 jewels and the one from the link has 15. Another thing. My watch has a microregulator, that does not appear in the Ranfft example.[/URL]I concur with you that it does look like my movement even though mine has 17 jewels and the one from the link has 15. Another thing. My watch has a microregulator, that does not appear in the Ranfft example. Does this make a diffrence?
One more question from a newbie. What does DDR Grade mean?

Regards

IHC Member 1193

posted
Hi. taking into account what David has posted, I found a link to a topic that describes the movement found in my watch.http://forums.watchuseek.com/showthread.php?t=197180
Know to find out what Grade mine falls in. So thanks to David know I know my watch has an Omega 19 movment of very high grade.

Thanks to all who have posted in this thread!!!

IHC Member 1193

IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Christian, This is what I was referring to. The "DDR" remains a mystery to me, but the watch looks like yours excepting the Motor Barrel Jeweling. Yours would "date" c.a. 1902. It way above the pink listed watch in collectable value.

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
posted
Dave. The one listed by you now resembles mine even better except the extra jewels. Thank much for your input.
Regards

IHC Member 1193

posted
Just playing with the camera.

IHC Member 1193

posted
Wooo Hoooo............. whatever that camera is Chris ........ I WANT ONE .............
What is it?

I'm using a Pentax Optio 430 RS at the moment and it's getting worn out, but I've never managed close ups that good even when it was Good!
4MP even on max res and zoom doesn't cut it now.

Been looking at the Fuji S8100fd's but keep reading mixed reviews on them.

BTW, great sluething guys nailing down Omega, told ya I was often wrong! Big Grin Roll Eyes

Best regards

John

posted
Thanks John. It is actually not a camera but a USB microscope. Google it as USB microscope the go to ebay and you can find many people that sell them. I bought mine for $69.00. Then I use photoshop to touch them up a bit.

IHC Member 1193

posted
Thanks Chris, I wondered after I'd signed off if it was a USB microscope.

I've been watching them for a little while on eBay now, around £50GBP here plus shipping.

I'd been using an Intel QX3 for close ups but Vista came along pre installed on my laptop, and no one does a Vista driver update for it, so it's been gathering dust ever since.
Never got images like that though ever, so those things have improved hugely.

John