Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

unmarked complicated p.w.; need identity, info "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Ken Habeeb
posted
I see no identifying marks on this timepiece. It appears to be a size larger than 18s.

I'd be grateful for any information as to maker, quality, and period of manufacture.

kh

Posts: 921 | Location: California in the USA | Registered: March 25, 2013
Picture of Peter Kaszubski
posted
With those Swiss pin set pw its hard to find the
makers as they did not mark watches as we did in US
perhaps dial side picture will help

Posts: 4395 | Location: Arizona in the USA | Registered: July 23, 2011
posted
Hi Ken

Why did you remove the dial picture ?

A very nice triple date moonphase watch in a fine condition. Those watches were popular in the years 1890 - 1910, Your example was made pre 1900 and finished to meet the american taste. They were pocket watch size up to 'goliath' watches (clocks ?) the later ones obviously used as desk or table watches. I do not know the maker Confused (most of them if not all seem to be unmarked). Your watch is one of the better (15j lever escapement). Not so often found with fat roman numerals.

Regards
Gerald

Posts: 742 | Location: Wertheim in Germany | Registered: February 21, 2009
Picture of Ken Habeeb
posted
Thank you very much, Gerald. After no one answered (except Peter, briefly), I asked a local Swiss watch collector, who quickly said it wasn't much of a watch, and valued at maybe a couple hundred dollars. That news was embarrassing, as I then imagined the reason I heard from no one here was because folks were afraid to give me such news. I then tried to remove the entire post, to no avail.

Posts: 921 | Location: California in the USA | Registered: March 25, 2013
IHC Member 1736
posted
Not all of us are millionaires Ken... I enjoy all of them.

My favorite carry is a simple South Bend 299 with a brassed case...

I'm still trying to turn 12s Elgins in to collectibles...

This watch is actually in really nice condition and would be fun to have as a discussion piece.

Posts: 2032 | Location: San Diego, California in the USA | Registered: August 30, 2012
Picture of Peter Kaszubski
posted
I have seen few sold on ebay for around $300-$400

Posts: 4395 | Location: Arizona in the USA | Registered: July 23, 2011
IHC Member 163
Picture of Mark Cross
posted
Also keep in mind, Ken, not all of us look in this section but every few days as most of us just deal with American made pocket watches. You need to give folks time to find your posts before deleting them. It's only been up since last Friday. Smile

It's still a nice looking item that would be a good carry candidate. Not a thing to be embarrassed by. It's still a very nice watch in its own right.

Regards! Mark

Posts: 3831 | Location: Estill Springs, Tennessee, USA | Registered: December 02, 2002