• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Can anyone help me identify this pocket watch? "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Hello, can anyone help me identify this pocket watch? The case is marked with the German Crown and Crescent, The Swiss Grouse and Ag 0,800 all indicating coin silver. The case and movement are marked with what looks like to be crossed hammer and pliers. I would like to know who made the watch and perhaps when it was made. Any help would be appreciated!

Case

movement

Face

Makers Mark

Posts: 4 | Location: Missouri in the USA | Registered: May 16, 2010
posted
OK I was able to find the maker The maker was Manufacture d'Horlogerie Lion in Porrentruy, Schweiz..... Now can anyone tell me anything about this watchmaker? I would love to know!

http://www.mikrolisk.de/show.p...here=all#sucheMarker

above is a link with the crossed hammer and tongs that is on my case and movement.

IHC Life Member

Picture of Jerry King
posted
Hello John, and welcome to IHC185....

Frankly, I'm surprised that your questions have not been replied to by now, normally our European Watch experts are 'jhonny on the spot' with some answers to questions that are posed here....I am sure that there will be some repiles shortly, don't be dismayed....I'm sorry that I can't help you but someone will be along....

We're glad you stopped by though, and do come back again to see us....

Regards,

Jerry

Posts: 2828 | Location: California in the USA | Registered: June 23, 2008
posted
Thanks Jerry for the welcome. I have to say I am suprised not to have any responses. I figured that European collectors might be able to shed some light on the maker...... Perhaps my pocket watch is of such poor quality that it doesn't inspire anyone. Have to say that it works great and keeps perfect time, just wish I knew more about the maker or when it was made. I will keep an eye out to see if anyone posts.

Picture of Mary Ann Scott
posted
Hello John and welcome to IHC185. You look to have a very nice watch with a little mystery to it!

While I can't help you with your watch, I did find a reference that "depose" may be French for trademark as in a part or mechanism is patented. If other members know otherwise, please feel free to correct me.

The two members who I know of with a lot of knowledge of European and English watches are somewhat out of pocket. Gerald had posted that he wouldn't be on the board for awhile and John is in France for a bit and is having trouble with his ISP. Hopefully he will get the problem resolved soon and will be able to provide some feedback for you.

Sorry I can't be of more help. Maybe one of our other European members can share some information.

Posts: 1047 | Location: The Colony, Texas in the USA | Registered: December 20, 2008
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
John

Wish I could help but I am not an expert at anything, I did try to research with the information you provided but all I came up with was what you already provided.

Tom

Posts: 5107 | Location: New Mexico in the USA | Registered: January 27, 2007
posted
Might be a Blancpain "Lion" watch. See http://www.atquid.com/viewArti...ncpain_Watch_Company

Posts: 33 | Location: Charleston, South Carolina in the USA | Registered: April 28, 2010
posted
Thank you Kenneth! That is very interesting. It kind of ties in with the sight I found. i.e. The makers mark is a registered mark of Lion watch. Which according to your link was a registered name to Blancpain in 1890 to 1893. I also note in the article that you sent me that in the early days "Often the watches produced by Blancpain only carry the name of the retailer or one of the many other trademarks registered by the firm"

Now that excites me. Can anyone confirm or shed any more light on the subject?

Thanks for your help

John

posted
Hi John, Welcome to IHC185.

Sorry not to have been around to try answer your questions, as Mary Ann said, having the devil of a job with a lousy dial-up ISP! Even had to write this in my Emailer, then copy/paste to upload it!

I think maybe the best thing you can do as regards the watchmaker, is enter all permutations of the manufacturer's names you can think of into Google, and trawl the web for an hour or three - it's pretty much all any of us can do in this case anyway.

There may be a (Very) tenuous link to Blancpain, but such a suggestion I'm sure will have loyal BP followers jumping up and down with angst at the thought of a Swiss cylinder watch in an imported German case being associated with the brand!

However, there are also many other marques attributed to Lion, so keep your feet on the ground with this one .... but you could get lucky!

As far as the watch goes, I can add a bit more here!
Typical Continental nail set, stem wind, Swiss Cylinder watch.
0.800 as you've already worked out, is 800 Continental grade silver (.925 would be Sterling grade).
You can find an approximate date of the case from the style of the 'Grouse' hallmark - there are 2x - early and late - you'll need to trawl silver hallmarks sites to find it though, as unfortunately I don't have my reference books to hand to give you this info.
The filligree hands are typical on Continental watches, generally gilded brass (and snap like carrots)!

The movement is a fairly generic Swiss cylinder type, produced in huge numbers at low cost for the mass market, so not sure what the deposé trademark covers, probably only the maker's particular trademark - unless there's some tech wizardy in there we can't see!

What you've got looks to be a very nice, well loved and un-butchered example of late C19th to early C20th mass produced watchmaking, and that it still runs well after maybe 130 years or so of use and abuse, is testament to the craftsmanship of those watchmakers back then!

Enjoy it, they don't pass this way often in such condition!

John

Posts: 1282 | Location: Northern England, United Kingdom | Registered: January 07, 2006