Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

What about adding a minute repeater? "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 935
posted
I'm thinking of getting my first, and probably only, repeater pocket watch. If this is a good move,what one watch or make would you recommend? Thanks!

Posts: 175 | Location: Davis, California USA | Registered: March 10, 2007
IHC Life Member
RR Watch Expert
Picture of Ed Ueberall
posted
Unless you are planning to get one of the famous makes, such as Patek Philippe, Vacheron & Constantin or Audemars Piguet, the brand may not be as important as other factors. Some the the finest repeaters I have ever seen have not been marked with a makers name anywhere. One thing you can look for with an unmarked repeater is to look under the hammers. Often movements made by leCoultre are marked here.

A couple of suggestions for a "one and only" repeater:
1. Get a minute repeater. Unless you really like the older, chain drive movements, the minute chimes really show off the watch.
2. Make sure the repeat mechanism is jeweled through the hammers. Low grade repeaters are a lot cheaper, but here is a case of really getting what you pay for.
3. Look for an "all or nothing" piece. This means that the watch will not chime unless the repeat band is fully pressed down. This will prevent an incorrect chime. The "all or nothing" is usually also the mark of a better grade repeater.
4. Probably the most important. Make sure that EVERYTHING works, and that the movement does not need a cleaning. Even routine maintenance on a repeater is expensive, and repairs can be either exorbitant or impossible.
5. Buy what you like. The main person that will have to live with your purchase is YOU.

Good luck and feel free to ask for advice and comments from the knowedgeable people here on this message board.

Ed Ueberall
IHC Member 34
The Escapement

Posts: 620 | Location: Pooler, Georgia in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 23, 2002
posted
I owned a quarter repeater of the "cheaper" variety. No all or nothing, no jewels at the hammers, and an 18K egg shell like case that dented when you sneezed at it. It never functioned properly no matter what was tried. Big mistake. Buy a good one!

Posts: 767 | Location: Los Osos, California USA | Registered: December 12, 2002