Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Brevet Tip Top. "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
Watchmaker
Picture of Scott Cerullo
posted
Hi Everyone. I got this watch or at least stopwatch in for service. It has a great dial. It has a bad mainspring, bad top balance pivot, and one damaged escape wheel tooth. It is marked Brevet No. 3848 Swiss, and Tip Top Timer.

In order to repair this one, I am going to have to locate at least an escape wheel. Good luck with that! I have recently searched the inter webs and found nothing on this bad boy.

gl

Posts: 1033 | Location: Northeast Pennsylvania in the USA | Registered: June 02, 2003
IHC Life Member
Watchmaker
Picture of Scott Cerullo
posted
This is the move. pic.

movt side

Posts: 1033 | Location: Northeast Pennsylvania in the USA | Registered: June 02, 2003
posted
Hi Scott

This is a great timer!
I like the dial. It shows that the 'wtach' was made for horse and dog races. Almost no information on the name of the watch sa let's check the pat#:

Brevet 3848

Posts: 742 | Location: Wertheim in Germany | Registered: February 21, 2009
posted
The inventor was A. F. Pfister of Le Locle switzerland. He had also a pat. in the US for a complicated repeater and as far as I know he had a manufacture named 'The Polar Star Watch Factory' at the turn of the century.
I am not sure about the circular mark on the back plate: if it is 'Tip Top Timer' and two crossed horse heads the manufacture would be Louis Goering La Caux de Fonds ( registration 12. 12. 1891).
It is rather unique - an early timer counting 1/4 seconds. The early make is also shown by the counter clockwise minute register.

Unfavorable for service and repair the times of cylinder escapement wheel assortments have long gone, searching for a replacement could be a challenge.
According to the rareness of the item I would like to see a picture of the dial plate.

Regards
Gerald

Posts: 742 | Location: Wertheim in Germany | Registered: February 21, 2009
IHC Life Member
Watchmaker
Picture of Scott Cerullo
posted
If I get a chance I'll take the dial back off and post a pic.
I can handle the mainspring problem, and I think I can handle the cylinder staff pivot, it is the escape wheel tooth that is the big problem.
I am going to try to check out some European sources before giving up.