Internet Horology Club 185
Need help identifying this watch

This topic can be found at:
https://ihc185.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/2291010082/m/187103271

October 03, 2009, 17:25
Bill Manders
Need help identifying this watch
I just purchased this watch at a local antique fair and have no info on it. Would appreciate any info regarding dates, maker etc.
Thanks, Bill
Front of watch

October 03, 2009, 17:25
Bill Manders
dial

October 03, 2009, 17:26
Bill Manders
case

October 03, 2009, 17:27
Bill Manders
case 2

October 03, 2009, 17:29
Bill Manders
movement

October 03, 2009, 17:30
Bill Manders
case4

October 03, 2009, 18:10
Gerald Zimmermann
Bill

The hallmarks are:

Sterling silver (925);
London import mark;
1915 date letter

The movement is swiss made as you can read in that oval mark. Please tell me the diameter of the movement.

Regards,
Gerald
October 03, 2009, 18:28
Bill Manders
Gerald thanks for the quick response.
The movement is about 28mm, and the watch is a transitional one that is it has loops on the outer edges for a strap also.
Do you think the movement was cased in the UK or was it exported from ? wherever.
I guess it is hard to tell the movement maker seeing as it is swiss, but i guess if it was an aggazis or something there would be similarities with those known makers.I have never really seen plateds like the ones here, but I really do not have the knowledge.
Thanks,
Bill
December 04, 2009, 10:36
John Woolsey
Bill, a nice example of a WW1 era 'Demi-Hunter' wristwatch.
Two ways this wristie could have come into being - it either started life as a ladies fob watch (worn on a chatelaine), or it was created As a wristwatch, which by 1915 plenty of 'wire lug' watches were around.

Often you can ID a modded watch, because the pendant will have been cut down to remove the holes for the bow and to shorten it.
Often the cut end wasn't tidied up.
The 'onion' crown is correct for the period.

The importer was George Stockwell (GS), but appears to have used his Birmingham crest, not London, even though as Gerald states, was assayed as a London import for Swiss Sterling Silver.

Anyone's guess what the movement is, but you might get lucky and find a maker's mark on the dial plate.
Demi-hunters like these are quite valuable this side of the pond because they don't appear very often, and yours looks like a nice unaltered example.

You may have issues with the stem and winding gear though, looks like water's got into it and started rusting, take care with it as bits are very hard to match up on those things!.

John.