Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

C.L. Guinand Timer (Is it worth repairing?) "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Picked up this timer, the dial is marked CL Guinand. I am not sure what you call this type, it has two sweep second hands, a 60 second sub chapter & a 30 minute sub chapter. The crown is a button & then there is another to the left of the crown.

The movement is marked Swiss Non-magnetic & I am guessing 7 jewels. The case has the Swiss standing bear stamp & .900 so I assume it is close to sterling silver.

The watch doesn't run but the balance seems fine, I am hoping just needs to be cleaned & a new mainspring.

I have no idea of the value of the watch & I think I will need to send this off to Chris but I don't want to spend the money if it is not worth much.

Thanks

Posts: 5107 | Location: New Mexico in the USA | Registered: January 27, 2007
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
The movement

IHC Member 1101
Site Moderator
Picture of Steve Middlesworth
posted
Tom,

It appears to be a chronometer. I would tend to believe the button on the crown begins and stops the counting of the center seconds hand and the other button is to reset it.

Steve

Posts: 1980 | Location: Kentucky in the USA | Registered: March 18, 2008
posted
Chronograph Smile

Posts: 785 | Location: Tijeras, New Mexico USA | Registered: July 12, 2005
posted
Very nice Chrono' Tom,

It's a 'Split Seconds' chronograph/timer.
Most of the split seconds watches I've seen have had pair of sweep seconds hands on a pocket watch dial and movement, so yours is a bit more out of the ordinary.

Over here in that condition, maybe £80 - £150 on a good day on eBay depending on your 'ship to' locations.
As I've never seen one quite like this though, it's only a guess.

Usual complications with cleaning them and more time consuming to do.
I've no idea what Chris's fees would be to clean and set up one of these, but the services of any 'Pro' are likely to exceed the value of the watch just for cleaning.

The train is likely to be stuck with dried oil, ditto the mainspring which I'm guessing is fully wound.
If so that will be set and useless, being a blued steel type.

I've found a big problem on these old chrono's, is the levers sometimes don't quite trip the wheels to push/pull the smaller hands around, or the wheels don't have enough grip to push things along anyway, or have teeth stripped - and you won't really know about that unless you can get it running.

It'd be nice to see it running again though, can't be many of these around now in that condition!

John

Posts: 1282 | Location: Northern England, United Kingdom | Registered: January 07, 2006
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Thanks for the info., maybe I will give this one a shot myself. Have to think about it a little more, I would like to see it working again.

Tom

posted
You should be ok with it, as the basic movement is similar to any other Swiss Lever movement, just more bits to lose.

Take plenty of digital photo's of the chrono' levers and positions etc, it'll be a big help.

John

Posts: 1282 | Location: Northern England, United Kingdom | Registered: January 07, 2006