Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Help needed to identify the movement "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
Master Watchmaker
Picture of Sham Agayev
posted
Can anybody tell me anything about this movement. It is 16 size pendent set. I very much looks like American made, but I am not sure. Please let to be known if you have any info. Thanks

Sham Agayev, CMW

Posts: 164 | Location: Overland Park, Kansas in the USA | Registered: September 15, 2005
Picture of Jerry Treiman
posted
Although these have many seemingly Elgin characteristics I seem to recall that these were Swiss movements made by Badollet.

Posts: 1455 | Location: Los Angeles, California USA | Registered: January 14, 2003
IHC Life Member
Master Watchmaker
Picture of Sham Agayev
posted
Thank you Jerry. I am not familliar with that maker. I agree with you, it does remoind me a lot of Elgin for what ever reason. Thank you again.

Sham Agayev, CMW

Posts: 164 | Location: Overland Park, Kansas in the USA | Registered: September 15, 2005
posted
Need to see dial side to help identify. Note: two dial feet=Swiss. Three dial feet generally means American although Longines and Omega used three (and didn't hide their identity)

Posts: 653 | Location: St Paul, Minnesota in the USA | Registered: May 04, 2004
Picture of Jerry Treiman
posted
The examples of this movement that I have seen have all had serial numbers in the 92,xxx range and at least one example is confirmed to have 3 dial feet. Judging from the two visible dial feet I expect this one also has three. I have seen both open-face and hunting movements and at least one has been marked Swiss on the pillar plate. The regulator, hairspring stud, winding wheels and style of engraving are the features most reminiscent of Elgin.

Posts: 1455 | Location: Los Angeles, California USA | Registered: January 14, 2003
IHC Life Member
Master Watchmaker
Picture of Sham Agayev
posted
Hi Guys. When I get home late tonight I will take the dial out and post the photo. Thank you to all of you for your time to respond to this matter.

Sham Agayev, CMW

posted
The old Paulson Co. had a catalog that showed movements from the upper (train bridge) side. Dang, I must have left my copy at work. Now the movement looks vaguely Buren-esqe. They also exported to the USA. All my material calogues, at home and at work, do not list any House named Badollet. Looking forward to your dial side pix, Sham!

IHC Life Member
Master Watchmaker
Picture of Sham Agayev
posted
Hi Guys. Below you will see the picture under the dial side. I did not find it marked SWISS. Thanks. Sham

Sham Agayev, CMW

posted
Definitely Swiss for North American market. I've checked the usual suspects as well as Gruen, Record,Cyma, Zenith.But have to admit I'm stumped, though not throwing in the tweezer quite yet.

IHC Life Member
Master Watchmaker
Picture of Sham Agayev
posted
Thank you so very much for looking William.

Sham Agayev, CMW

Picture of Sheila Gilbert
posted
Sham,
What is written right in the center of the movement? I can't see it.

It looks like a pretty nice watch whatever it is!

Sheila

Posts: 3094 | Location: La Plata, Maryland U.S.A. | Registered: May 22, 2004
Administrative Assistant
Picture of Dr. Debbie Irvine
posted

Looks like "Safety Pinion" to me Sheila...

Posts: 5201 | Location: Northern Ohio in the U.S.A. | Registered: December 04, 2002
Picture of Sheila Gilbert
posted
Debbie,
Sure does, thank you!

Sheila

Posts: 3094 | Location: La Plata, Maryland U.S.A. | Registered: May 22, 2004
posted
I'm wondering if this isn't a movement imported by Gruen. There are some resemblences. They knew marketing, and how to make American looking movements. Just a hunch.

posted
Fabrique de montres Orion used that regulator on at least one of their models in the 1930s. I am sure there were many more who used it.

Don

Posts: 173 | Location: Columbia, Pennsylvania U.S.A. | Registered: July 13, 2004
IHC Life Member
Master Watchmaker
Picture of Sham Agayev
posted
Thank you ALL for your input to this post. Best wishes to you and your Families.

Sham Agayev, CMW