Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Girard Perregaux for Shell "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Hello all,

Just for curiosity sake and nothing else,(it's a slow day) I would like to draw your attention to this watch "dial". This is one of the very few dials (and I mean few) that shows the 4 as IV instead of IIII as was always done since the Middle Ages starting with the sundials.

Also the orientation of the roman numbers follows the style used by the arabic numbered dials.
A very unusual layout.
The second chapter is also a bit questionable...what were they thinking in Switzerland in 1940?

Regards,
Peter

Posts: 192 | Location: Vicenza in Italy | Registered: February 04, 2009
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Very interesting Peter,

I think this is something they began doing on watches around that mid 20th Century time-frame. Sometimes the designers and manufacturers step away from tradition. Roll Eyes It would be interesting to compare other watches with Roman dials to see how often this was used, perhaps then and even now.

For more about the Shell Oil watches, here is discussion and links...

Shell Oil Watch by Girard-Perregaux

Lindell

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
Lindell, Thank you for your comment.

I found out that IV instead of IIII is extremely rare on watches dials and there are quite a few debates on various sites on the net about why this is. Some explanations are quite amusing.

The picture below shows the "Millennium Stein" that I received as a gift at the turn of the century. The pocket watch is shown prominently as an example of human achievement but is missing the second chapter and the 4 is IV!

As I said "just for curiosity sake".

Regards to all,
Peter

Posts: 192 | Location: Vicenza in Italy | Registered: February 04, 2009