• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

TRANSLATOR WANTED FOR GERMAN WATCH INSCRIPTION "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Would anyone familiar with the German language please post a translation of the the attached watch inscription?

Thank you!

Posts: 391 | Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA | Registered: April 20, 2006
posted
Try this translator. Maybe you will have better luck figuring this out than I did.

Larry

Posts: 225 | Location: Belmont, Wisconsin USA | Registered: April 09, 2004
posted
Lawrence:

This translator knows less about the German language less than I do, it called his mother a nut!

Not that certain past Germans were of that ilk!

Thanks for your try.

Posts: 391 | Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA | Registered: April 20, 2006
Picture of Jeffrey Tibbs
posted
It says litterally word for word

Peter Muller
for 22 Birthday

dedicated

from your mother

Essen(state of Germany or "to eat")
April 27, 1928

Posts: 166 | Location: Dublin, Ohio in the USA | Registered: June 04, 2005
Picture of Tom McIntyre
posted
Peter Muller on his 22nd Birthday "geivedmet" from his mother.

Essen, 27 April 1928.

I don't recognize the word geividmet. It may be Yiddish instead of German. I would gues it means "God go with you."

Essen is a city as well as a verb. Wink

Posts: 633 | Location: Boston, Massachusetts USA | Registered: November 25, 2002
Picture of Tom McIntyre
posted
I see Peter's German is better than mine and his typing faster also. Big Grin

Posts: 633 | Location: Boston, Massachusetts USA | Registered: November 25, 2002
posted
Peter!?? Smile

I'm sure it has to do with the syntax of the German language. That's why we can't make any sense of it. For example, I'll put this post through the translator and see what we get.

Ich bin sicher, daß es der Syntax der deutschen Sprache miteinbezieht. Das ist, warum wir kein sinnvoll von ihm sein können. Z.B. führe ich diesen Pfosten durch den Übersetzer hindurch und sehe, was wir erhalten.

Here is how it translates back to english.

I am sure that it refers the syntax of the German language. That is, why we cannot be meaningful by it. E.G. I pass through this post the translator and see, what we receive.

Larry

Posts: 225 | Location: Belmont, Wisconsin USA | Registered: April 09, 2004
posted
Lawrence:

Sorry, I confused you with the subject of this translation. Maybe, I need a translator for my typing?

Thanks to all who tried to help!

Dan Weiss

...Mr. Mom to Johnnie and Frankie Weiss...no, they are not males...These cats (now 9 years old) are famous on 3 continents
through book length and short stories...as well as Frankie's beautiful pictures of her Tortoiseshell coloring.