Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

I NEED HELP/Fusee "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Sheila Gilbert
posted
New pictures below.....
I received my Fusee today, and there are some new developements.

# 1
Name was wrong, it's a BAILEY & DAVISON not a Batley and Davison.

I have no idea how to open this to see the movement that was in the other pictures, but have listed the one below.

Now I need to know how to use a Fusee!

I won't touch it until I know what I am doing, and because I was told by Tom that you wind a Fusee counterclockwise?

Please Help.

Sheila

Fuseeopn

Posts: 3094 | Location: La Plata, Maryland U.S.A. | Registered: May 22, 2004
posted
# 2

Sheila

FuseeOpen

posted

Sheila

Fuseemvmt

posted
# 4

Sheila

FuseeDial

posted

Sheila

Fuseemks1

posted
next

Sheila

Batley1

posted
Sheila, I'll see if I can talk you through this.
1. Snap open the bezel using your thumbnail or the edge of a knife.
2. Look at the 6 o'clock position. You will see a metal catch. Place your thumbnail under this catch to release the movement. The movement will hinge out (it is attached to the case.
3. You will see the dust cover. Look at the little blue wire on the dustcover. This is a slide catch. With your fingernail, move this wire starting right at the catch. This will release the dust cover. You can then lift it off.

You will be able to then see if the balance is swinging freely.

To reassemble is the reverse. replace the dust cover and slide the lock catch back with your finger nail. Hinge the movement back into the case. You will feel the catch click. Snap the bezel back into place.

From the pics that you supplied, it looks like the back cover is spring loaded (like a hunter case) To open the back for winding, press on the little button on the pendant. This will release the back. Like all covers, do not snap it shut, but press on the button when closing then release the button.

Be gentle on all of your moves with the watch. Do not force anything.

Your hallmark in the case is a London hallmark. I can't tell from the pic exactly what the letter is. It could be an f or a p. From this we can date your watch.

Good luck.

Tom

posted
Hi Tom,

I DID IT!! Thank you so much.

Now for the marks and the date letter.

The makers mark is CJ and the letter is like none I have ever seen anywhere.

It is a K or an R and has jagged spikes on the sides of the straight line on the left in the K or R. At first I thought it was an I but after removing the movement I could see the one on the other part of the case that shows it to be an elaborate letter that is really unusual.
(and I'm used to looking at letters too!)

I couldn't get a good picture of the letter but I'm working on it.

There is also the number 6145 on the movement that you can't see in the picture above.

I will post when I get a better picture.

Tom, Thank you so much for taking the time to help me. Bless,

(Can you tell me how to set the hands to the correct time?)

Sheila

Picture of Stephen L. Russell
posted
Sheila,

to set the time ..put the key on the centre square of the hands and give her a gentle spin..

In your photo...I tried to enhance it..no luck here....but I could see it is London hallmarked..and silver..due to the lion passant.

After 1550 the the lion passant guardant became uncrowned and remains so until the present day. After 1822 the Lion Passant ceased to be guardant. So your watch is after 1822 London date mark...and likely 1865 to 72 based on your description and what little i can see of the shield.

Posts: 849 | Location: Victoria, British Columbia Canada | Registered: December 05, 2003
posted
Thank you Stephen!

Now it's all set, and running great. I was nervous but it went very well and I didn't even "kill" the dial!!

I found the date. It's from 1865

Hey Tom,
I forgot to mention that I was a wreck opening the case, but as soon as I tried it, it moved over easy, and I had no problem at all.

The watch is so much nicer than the picture.

What a SUPER DEAL!

Sheila

London1865

posted
WOW how long is this thing going to tick?

I wound it last night, and it's been ticking over 24 hours. I didn't set the hand until later but it's been ticking longer.

So how long should I expect it to run?

I'm a little scared to wind it, I don't know this watch, and I wound it until I felt pressure and stopped. Is this right?

Sheila

Picture of Stephen L. Russell
posted
I wind and set my "in use verge" watch daily, every AM.

Choose a time and set it...then wind it untill you feel presure...as you have done correctly(you will get a feel for it in a very short time.)

the next day check it at that time to see if it is fast or slow...fusee's really start to speed up with wear.

Posts: 849 | Location: Victoria, British Columbia Canada | Registered: December 05, 2003
posted
Stephen,
Thank you. I wind it at night and will continue to do it then since I started it then anyway.

It's doing well and keeping pretty good time.

I will have to wind it at the same time for a while to see how it's really doing. I didn't do this before, but I will now.

Can you tell me if the hands on this one look right? and is the date 1865 unusual for this watch or is that a normal date for a Fusee?

I have no idea. Thank you again for the information, I will wind it at the same time each night now.

Last, Should I have it looked at first? need oil or something? I'm at a loss with this one.

Another picture of it, and notice the new Ribbon I just got! It's a real nice one too! Sterling parts.

Sheila

Fusee9

posted
Hey Sheila,

Don't know if you still have this watch, but if the initials are in an oval shield, the casemaker is likely to be the following:

Charles Jackson, President Street East, King's Square, St.Lukes.

He registered the same mark consecutively on 9.Sept 1893, 8.Dec 1865 & 30 March 1871, which spans the hallmark period.

Best regards

John

Posts: 1282 | Location: Northern England, United Kingdom | Registered: January 07, 2006
posted
Hi John,
I most certainly do still have this one, and I can't thank you enough for the information!!!! Big Grin

I still have it packed away since my move, but I think it's the next box to open, and re-reference everything for my database.

This is wonderful information.

THANK YOU!!!! Big Grin Smile Big Grin

Sheila